LED lights with multi-voltage ballast. Works with 120 but not with 277.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSlayer

I just installed new LED fixtures with mutil-voltage ballasts. (Everline d15cc55unvt-c)

I did a standard field test to make sure everything was wired correctly by plugging the leads into an extension cord and they worked fine. When we finally got the new 277 panels up and running the lights wouldn't come on under that voltage.

Can anyone explain this? I've done this a million times over the years with ballasts that go both ways without ever having a problem.

Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Was this a multi-lead ballast, or just multi-volt ballast with only two supply wires? I recall at one time there were some two wire multi-lead ballasts that "locked in" on the first voltage that they were connected to.

MrSlayer

Multi-volt with just two leads.

Multi-volt with just two leads.

I've done this many times over the years and have never had this occur before. It would be bad news if they decided to lock in as such.

Thanks.

MrSlayer

We got it figured out.

We got it figured out.

Turns out one of our genius foremen who is in between jobs wired the transformer wrong. Which is why they keep the tools out of his hands.

Thanks for the input guys.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
multi voltage ballasts

multi voltage ballasts

I had a factory rep tell me it is internal fuses, if it see's 120v first, all ok and later you could step up to the next voltage. If you put 208 v it blows the 120v fuse and works at 208v, you could go up to the next voltage but not go back down to the lower voltage since that fuse is blown and so on.

Hope this helps it makes sence.
Harvey

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I had a factory rep tell me it is internal fuses, if it see's 120v first, all ok and later you could step up to the next voltage. If you put 208 v it blows the 120v fuse and works at 208v, you could go up to the next voltage but not go back down to the lower voltage since that fuse is blown and so on.

Hope this helps it makes sense.
Harvey

Tell your factory rep that's a dumbass design. :blink: Switchmode power supplies happily use whatever voltage you feed them (within spec) and they don't have a problem with differing voltages after the fact. If they worked the way those ballasts do, I could never use my laptop here in the 'States after I used it overseas.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.