VFD Long Lead Lengths - Correctly Calculating Voltage Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsbeih

Just to be clear, I didn't design this system with the long lead length. It is already in place designed by a "credible" engineering firm. They just happened to ignore or disregard the manual. I agree this is outside of the mfg recommendation.

After a two years in operation issues started to come up with this drive. I'm not asking for a discussion here of what is correct or good practice or help troubleshooting the drive system. I'm searching for more information on Inductive Losses in Motor Cables on VFD applications. That is my golden nugget here. It was brought up by a trusted senior application engineer and I'm hunting for any details on how to calculate correctly for it in any application. Long leads or not.

Your question is not dumb. I made the same suggestion, only limiting the top frequency to 50Hz or less because we can't get more voltage out than what is put in. But the application requires 60Hz operation much of the time. And your suggestion would require a 530V input to the drive, therefore requiring a 575V drive and line voltage.

Hope you find this article helpful.
http://www.belden.com/docs/upload/vfd_choosing_wp.pdf

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
As you can probably tell from my previous set of questions, I am sort of grasping at straws to see if there is something that I can understand that will direct to what you are looking for. I am not trying to diagnose the system, just trying to tease out if there is a situation that would result in greater than expected voltage drop.

I think that your original question has been answered: you use the exact same voltage drop equations for a VFD and for any other source. Where those calculations need to be adjusted for VFD use is in the actual frequency being used; the higher the frequency the greater the inductive impedance for a given inductance, so if you are running the motor at 400 Hz you can't use a 60Hz spreadsheet.

One _assumption_ built into the spreadsheet that you posted is the actual inductance of the circuit conductors. I believe the assumption is a standard 3 phase set in a single raceway.

It is perhaps worth continuing to dig, because you might find a reason for excessive voltage drop, or you might come up with a _wrong_ approach that gives the result that the other engineer came up with, which puts you in a position of understanding the error.

Question: how are the cables arranged for the run. You said 2x4/0 per phase, but you never said how the phases were arranged; are all the conductors in a single conduit, or do you have 2 conduits with a full three phase set in each, or do you have isolated phases, etc?

Here is a fun wrong approach: do a 'back of the envelope' for the inductance of a single wire 2200 feet long. Use that inductance in a voltage drop calculation.

When I did this I got an inductance of about 1.5mH, for an inductive reactance at 60Hz of 0.55 ohms. At 190A, 0.55 ohms puts you in the ballpark of what the other engineer got. As a reactive voltage drop you still need to do vector math to get the total drop, and I'm way too tired to figure it out.

You will note that the X value that I got was about 10x the one in your spreadsheet. The reason is that when you have all three phases in close proximity the inductance is greatly reduced. But perhaps you have 'isolated phases' in the non-metallic conduit, which would increase the inductance of the run.

-Jon

Sahib

There is usually no serious issue with the assumption that harmonics do not interfere with the performance based calculations of an induction motor connected to a VFD. It is just that. The special design motor is not usually affected by harmonics. But the connecting cable is not. The voltage drop in it may be affected by harmonics.

Besoeker

There is usually no serious issue with the assumption that harmonics do not interfere with the performance based calculations of an induction motor connected to a VFD. It is just that. The special design motor is not usually affected by harmonics. But the connecting cable is not. The voltage drop in it may be affected by harmonics.
Pay heed to what iWire posted.

Sahib

Stop playing games, Bes. Just show your own VFD voltage drop calculations instead of asking OP to do so.

Sahib

Please show an actual VFD voltage drop calculation you perforned to bring credibility. Also it may be of some benefit to OP.

Sahib

iwire, you claimed Bes to be a VFD expert.

Let the expert explain the VFD voltage drop phenomenon with his own examples to the ordinary engineers.:)

Besoeker

You first, no link dumps. Present your calculations.
Och, no problem.

kW Volts pf effy Current
110 415 0.880 94.0% 185 A

Distance 200 m
Pick 150 mm^2

VD
per BS7671 3.03%

This was for our contract C9770, a pumping station in St Albans in UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.