Bathroom Receptacle(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
210-8 says you need a dedicated 20a circuit for bathroom receptacles. The exceptions states if that circuit stays only in one bath then you can feed others in that bath. To me, that implies that you can run one 20a circuit to feed more than one bathroom receptacle (i.e. bathroom #1, #2, #3). My electrical designer says you have to rune one 20a circuit to EACH bathroom. Wpould like to hear otheres interpretations.
Thanks in advance

jbwhite

Re: Bathroom Receptacle(s)

My take is: you can either serve one bathroom with the circuit, and feed the lights and outlets, or feed all the recs from different bathrooms with one circuit, and feed the lights from another circuit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

I concur wuith jb, taking into account the limitations of 250.23(a)(1) and (A)(2) for such things a heat/light/fans.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I also agree with jbwhite's interpretation. But I think your code citation should have been 210.11(C)(3), and not 210.8.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Let me expand on my earlier comments.

If the owner has lots of money and you have lots of breakers available, you can run two circuits to each bathroom (one for receptacles, one for lights and fans). Nothing says that all bathroom receptacles have to be on the same circuit, or that all bathroom lights and fans have to be on the same circuit. There are only two things that you cannot do:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On a single circuit, you cannot have receptacles in Bathroom #1, receptacles in Bathroom #2, and anything else other than other bathroom receptacles.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On a single circuit, you cannot have one receptacle and one other item (e.g., light, fan, smoke detector, heater, or anything else) from the same bathroom, and also have anything that is outside that bathroom.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Status
Not open for further replies.