eastern power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

theodore

What happened to the dynamic power grid computer simulation that was built in the 70's to predict the performance of the power transmission grid under stress?Why didn't this simulation predict this blackout?Is there anyone out there familiar with this work?

charlie tuna

Re: eastern power outage

i do find it stupid when they "know" it was not terrorist oriented --- but "don't know what caused it" --- makes you feel secure doesn't it!

david

I?m hoping that if the determine the cause to be something that makes the grid vulnerable to attack they send mix messages to the exact cause. Why expose an open wound to the public.

the software was done in the 70's & 23 years later the utility company on tv gives exact examples of the problem in california. northern california could help power southern ca. except the southern ca. power grid is to small to handle the needed power from the north.

in other words, our utility network is outdated for todays needs.

hurk27

What I can't figure is why they don't protect these power plants like we do in amplifiers.
In a parallel output power amp the output transistors are protected from this very chain reaction by a simple resistor. It's called a bias resistor. it works by limiting the current the transistor can pass thus protecting it if one transistor fails the rest will keep on working.
The degree of loss of power would depend on two things how much this transistor contributed to the total output and how many transistors are there in the circuit. I know that the voltage has to be kept in a min range but I think if resistor banks were installed the small loss of one or two power plants the drop in voltage could be overcome or even not be a problem at all.
There I go again another millon dollar answer given away.
roflol.gif
LOL
roflol.gif

[ August 19, 2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

theodore

the problem is more complicated than the amplifier because of the need to synchronize the power grid and because of the complex dynamics of the power grid.This is a nonlinear control problem requiring a characterization of the dynamics(time response of each plant including human intervention time responses , the dynamics of the transmission lines,and the load dynamics).A comprensive model of the grid is needed to avoid this problem in any viable control concept.

rb

Hurk,

I like your idea. Id like to see your 50 megawatt resistor.

Imagine the transistors. You could use 150,000 57 chevies for a heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.