1902 electrical panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

As near as I can determine this installation is circa 1902 and sorta still works. Has anyone ever come across ceramic fuse block installations where both sides of the circuit have a fuse. IE fused hot out to the load and thru a switch to liting then neutral comes back to the panel and is also fused.? This panel has what I thought were 6 circuits on edison base fuses. Come to find out it is actually only 3 circuits with fuses on the hots and neutrals. Below the edison fuses is anothe section of ceramic base cartidge fuses 8 in number which also seem to be the same setup. really only 4 circuits with fuses on both got and neutral. Anyone ever see this before?

hurk27

Re: 1902 electrical panel

Sounds like the old low voltage 32 volt DC panel in use around that time.

Did it look like this?
rdgpnl2.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Old systems had fuses in both the hot and the neutral. I don't know when the they stopped putting fuses in the neutral. All of the old knob and tube 30A, 120 volt systems that I have worked had fuses in both conductors. I have never seen a panel of that size, but the old knob and tube panels looked like that, except they wee smaller and only had one hot.
Don

hurk27

Don I ran into banks of these old 32 volt DC panels in an old Chinese theater. The front main floor part was turned into offices and a bank but the back and upper floor was left just as it was when it was last open as a theater. The panels have been since disconnected but were once energized at 120/240 volts from a very old 200 amp Square D disconnect. The photo above is not from the theater but looks just like them. The dimmer for the stage lites was in a metal cabinet about the size of a large refrigerator. It had a large 32 volt DC motor that turned a large wiper contact on a very large wire wound resistor. I wished I had been able to get photo's of it but the whole building has been redone.

zog

We see that type of stuff in the old Ford plants alot here in Detroit.

I have some cool photos but I dont know how to insert pics into this forum

charlie tuna

i recently ran into an old 600 amp service main breaker built into a switchboard---think it was a frank adams----the breaker's trip lever wouldn't trip the breaker and they called us to fix it. we schedual an early morning operation and find that the trip button was connected to a wooden dowl that extended back and linked to the trip lever.
termites had eaten the dowl. what could we do---replaced the dowl with another dowl!!!!!!!!!! i think the service was 75 years old.......

rattus

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
Old systems had fuses in both the hot and the neutral. I don't know when the they stopped putting fuses in the neutral. All of the old knob and tube 30A, 120 volt systems that I have worked had fuses in both conductors. I have never seen a panel of that size, but the old knob and tube panels looked like that, except they wee smaller and only had one hot.
Don
I recall a house built in 1938 with a fused neutral, another house built around the same time did not. At age 12, I didn't get it, but my electrician uncle explained it to me.

Ok, it wasn't really a neutral since it was only 115V--yes it was back then--but you know what I meah.

[ June 07, 2005, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: rattus ]

Before I bought the house I currently live in I rented an apartment in a house that was built in 1909,not sure if it was wired at the time it was built but I'd say probably.Owner was a Master electrician and HVAC contractor,he had 40-odd rentals and went to school and got his licenses because Code Enforcement kept busting him for doing his own work. (and rightly so,IMO) at any rate he didn't want me or anyone else doing any work on the house.(another point we agreed on) The house was split into 4 apartments and he paid the utilities so the electrical was not necessarily split up.The house had one 'newer' (late 70's-early 80's) breaker panel that served four central air units and two fuse panels for the branch circuits.Once when he was out of town (a rare occurence) one of the fuses blew and my next door neighbor called his cell phone because her refrigerator was on that particular circuit. (I had nothing on the circuit) He called me and told me over the phone to go to the panel,remove the dead front and in the bottom was a few spare fuses,even knew which one it was and asked me to please this once change the fuse.I obliged him (mostly because I was single and sweet on the neighbor)and discovered exactly what you are describing,fuses on the hots and grounded conductors both.He told me a while later that it was common for a short period of time early in the 1900's.BTW he also owned a house a few blocks away that (he said) was built in 1905 that had three stories and an attic (four floors total) that all the floors were four-inch thick poured concrete,with rigid conduit all through it.Only one of those I ever saw.Also FWIW,it looked nothing like the posted picture,just looked like a 16 circuit fuse panel but only had 8 circuits in it.House burned down shortly after I moved,nothing to do with the electrical. (arson)

Status
Not open for further replies.