Graduate School Options for a EE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenut1980

I would like to get opinions on what I should do for graduate school. I got my BSEE from Purdue University in May 2002. I have worked 2 years and 4 months for the Air Force and I have become aware of the tuition assistance they offer. :D I would be taking classes at night while working full time.

First question: I do not know which degree I would rather pursue, an MS in EE or an MS in engineering management? Is there a benefit to either one? For any employers out there, would you rather have an employee with one or the other?

Second Question: I am thinking of looking into distance learning (taking classes online or through TV feed). Has anyone had any experience with this, and how did you like it compared with actually being there in person? Are online-obtained degrees viewed as equal in value to a degree where you are in the class given the same school?

Any other advice? ;) Thanks!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Graduate School Options for a EE

I can?t advise you on which degree to pursue. That is a matter of your personal interests and abilities.

I can say that I did my graduate work in the manner you described. I received an MS-EE degree from the Illinois Institute of Technology in 1989. I took two night classes per session, and the process took me just over two years. Several of the classes were offered by remote TV ? the professor was at the main campus (downtown Chicago) and some number of students were in a remote class (e.g., College of DuPage, in the Western Suburbs).

My daughter recently finished an Master of Library and Information Science degree from the University of Illinois. Most of her classes were self-paced study. She would connect to the University via the Internet, whenever she could set aside the time. I think more and more schools are offering this type of program.

By the way, let me offer one more consideration (I won?t call it advice). I chose to prepare for, and take, the PE license exam, before I started the MS program. I didn?t want to undertake both study programs at the same time.

Best of fortune to you.

wirenut1980

Thanks Charlie. I still have a couple years before I am eligible to take the PE exam. How much time did you (and this is open to everybody) study in advance of taking the PE exam? I think I might be able to get in some classes before I start on that process.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I might not be your best resource on this question, unless you want a ?Whatever you do, don?t do what I did? story. I went to school on a Navy scholarship (just up the road from your Purdue U., at ?Our Lady of the Lake,? though it is better know by its French name). Since I had a guaranteed job after college, the notion of taking the EIT exam did not even occur to me. I waited until 12 years after graduation before I took the exam. I studied at night for about 3 months before the exam. I used a book of sample EIT problems that included solutions as a key element in my study. I could not bring that book into the exam room, but it helped me prepare. I took the EIT one day, and the PE exam the following day. It was 16 hours of writing. I was fortunate to have passed them both on the first try.

Since you already have your EIT, you are ahead of me. But I strongly recommend that you consider taking the PE while there is still some hope that the information is fresh. If you start your Masters program before you take the PE, it might actually help you. The course work could bring some of the exam materials out of the dust zone of your brain. But I also recommend that you focus on one of the study goals at a time.

tshea

My good friend and mentor graduated with a BSEE. He went on to get an MBA at graduate school. Before entering grad school he took and passed his PE. One of his lessons to me was engineering taught you to think one way, while the MBA taught you to think another way.

I have a BSBA, master electrician license, and Designer of Engineering Systems-Electrical credential (similar to a PE, but not as prestigious, also doesn't require 4 yrs engineering school). Lots of studying.

I took my masters in another state over 20 yrs ago, moved, took the Master's here, went to night school, graduated with a BS at age 46, and in between earned my Designer credential.

To help you decide what to do, ask yourself where and what you want to be doing in 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 15 yrs, etc.

Good luck on your decision.

O

oliver100

I consider that technical knowledge is more versatile and better oporunities than the technics of management. As the old maritime tradition says: Every engineer could be a capitan and no captain could be an engineer (rear exceptions - I met a doctor with a marine engineering degree).

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Oliver100:

Where are you from, because that's where I'm moving :) Around here, I think managers are more more valuable and highly paid. At least, the managers seem to think that way. And they seem to be the ones that decide how much everyone else gets paid. :eek:

Steve

O

oliver100

Steve

I'm from the old school. To me, if you don't know the technical stuff there is nothing to manage except the clerical stuff. Unless being a CEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.