Load item vs. non load item?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballard

This is more of a theory question than practical on the job use.

I'm having a debate on the definition of a non electrical load item, vs. a electrical load item.

I think of a non electrical load item as perhaps an item like a photo cell, or a electrical switch for example. Although these items are rated with amp rating, voltage, etc. and wired is it safe to say these type of items could be called a non load item?

In the case of the photo cell, the light fixture would be the electrical load item and not the photo cell or the electrical switch?

Any other examples like this will help me explain this topic.

Does the NEC address this topic of non electrical loads vs. electrical loads?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Load item vs. non load item?

The NEC defines neither term. It does define an overload condition as operating equipment beyond its rating. Article 110.3(B) forbids installing or using equipment outside the OL listing instructions.

I would agree that a switch does not draw load. But I do not understand the nature of your debate. How does the notion of ?load? versus ?non-load? come into play?

ballard

Thanks for this. I also felt that the NEC did not address this topic so I appreciate the reply.

FYI, the debate I've had centers around a piece of software that allows creation of electrical distribution system, cabling, electrical load creation, etc. One has the ability to create electrical load items and non electrical load items within the software.

Our European friends influenced the creation of this software so I have had discussion about this topic with them and I have to admit that sometimes the electrical language fails to connect or ring familiar when I have these discussions with them.

It's getting better though!

hurk27

By Ballard: I think of a non electrical load item as perhaps an item like a photo cell
all photocells draw a little current to operate. (ever wonder why some need a neutral?) some have a heater in them that is heating when the lamp is off but when light hits the photocell it removes the load across the heater which cools in-turn causing a bi-metal strip contact to close thus turning on the light. others use electronics to do the same thing and are in series with the load but still draw a little current through the load to operate.

But I think it would fit this definition: that a non-electrical load item would be one that does not utilize current to preform an electrical task. as in a switch, disconnect, Etc...

[ November 13, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Non-electrical load item. . .for software. . .

In a dwelling unit, what about the dedicated 125 V circuit installed for the kitchen refrigerator, 210.52(B)(1)exception 2? 2002 220.16(A)exception or 2005 220.52(A)exception state the refrigerator shall be permitted to be excluded from the calculation.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Ballard,

I am assuming the software package has a collection of features such as generating panel labels as well as doing Article 220 calculations all from one data entry session.

Thinking of that nice 48" SubZero? refrigerator with its top mounted compressor brings the image of a very substantial load, especially when compared with a relay coil, switch indicator light, etc. Several orders of magnitude greater. Yet the refrigerator is allowed to be a nonelectrical load for the purposes of Article 220, and at the same time, the software will want to include it on the panel label.

john m. caloggero

I believe the term you are looking for is in Article 100, Definitions. See "Utilization Equipment". See also the definition of "Device".

pierre

Hello John, it is nice to see you not only visiting the site, but participating.
I believe what ballard is asking is exactly what John has pointed out. There is utilization equipment, and devices that connect utilization equipment to the circuit; such as a receptacle outlet that may have the 'sub zero' plugged into it.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.