Disconnect required at Meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveh

I've installed a 200 Amp service in an out building. The service runs down the side of the building to a meter base, through 23 feet of 2" rigid nonmetallic conduit, and enters through the building wall directly into the back of a 200 Amp service panel.

The electrical inspector is requiring a 200 Amp disconnect at the meter base.

The 2002 code (230.70 A 1) states the disconnect location ...or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

The arrangement also seems to be supported by the diagram on page 70-76 which shows the meter, service conductors, followed by the disconnecting means and over current protection.

Other electricians that I've asked say that the disconnect location is not clear in the code, and is at the option of the local inspector.

Q1, Has the code changed since 2002?

Q2, Is the inspector being unreasonable?

megawatt

Re: Disconnect required at Meter?

Your installation is Code Compliant, The riser sounds longer than usual, but You shouldn't need a disc if the panel backs up to the meter base.

charlie

The meter fitting is immaterial and is not considered any more than a wide place in the conduit where we can install our cash register. Consider the installation without the meter fitting, does it meet Code? In this case, it meets Code because you stayed outside the building until you went inside and hit the disconnecting means in accordance with 230.70(A). If you wanted to do it, you could wrap around the building a couple of times first before going inside. :D

brian john

The meter fitting is immaterial and is not considered any more than a wide place in the conduit where we can install our cash register.

Now that is a bit of wisdom I found humorous and if the Charlie does not mind I would like to add to my limited memory bank.

sparks1

If your 200 amp panel has a main breaker and is located immediately upon entering the building you should be good to goe!. Everthing else up to this point is considered out side the building.

[ April 15, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: sparks1 ]

charlie

Brian, I don't mind. In fact, I have been spreading that word for a long time and I wouldn't mind having some help. :D

bigjohn67

Isnt there a code where you can't enter a building more than X amount of inches/ft before a disconnect is required? 24"?

charlie

The "X" amount of inches is spelled out in 230.70(A)(1) and it is 0". The Code states, "The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors." and some jurisdictions permit a few feet before the disconnecting means. Here, the unwritten rule is 10 ft, in other places, it is 3 ft, 5 ft, 15 ft, 20 ft, etc. 20 ft is the furthest I have heard of being permitted.

In my opinion, unless the rules are changed, in writing, in your area and a fire resulted, you will be torn apart by the attorney who is going after you, your possessions, your wife, your kids, and your dog. :D

bigjohn67

Unless you encase the conduit with atleast 3" of concrete around all sides.

In our area they allow you to go no further than 24".

charlie

230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building. Conductors shall be considered outside of a building or other structure under any of the following conditions:

(2) Where installed within a building or other structure in a raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less than 50 mm (2 in.) thick

Status
Not open for further replies.