voltage drop & disconnect requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to run a 200a service to a pole barn then underground to the 150a panel in the house.
is a disconnect required other than in the 200a panel. the distance between the house and barn is 150' what gauge wire do i need? also any special grounding requirements?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: voltage drop & disconnect requirement

This sounds a little like a DIY'er post.
The wire size depends on the load
Grounding is per Article 250, see section 250.32
Disconnecting means is per Art 225 outside branch circuits.
Your profile says "Electrician". What kind of electrician are you.

article 225 states there should be a disconnect but i am unsure of the location of it

OH! Thank you Tom the other articles you quoted answered my other questions.(I.E voltage drop & grounding).
I have been a residential Electrician for 8 years and have never had this situation before.
The transformer is located 20' from the barn & 130' from the house.
having the main panel in the barn saves from boring under the driveway twice.

growler

One consideration that is not often mentioned when deciding if a disconnect is needed. The Fire Department. When those guys come out, they are kind of in a hurry. They like to cut power before digging in walls. A disconnect or at least a main breaker is not a bad idea. The Code doesn't provide for convenience. Any thoughts on why this is a bad idea other than money.

growler

I agree that a "Disconnecting Means" is required.
But if the 150 Amp panel is on an outside wall, of say,the garage and he pipes up the wall to the panel. 225.32 Location... inside or outside nearest the point of entrance... wouldn't the main breaker in the panel cover " Disconnecting means".
I've had inspectors ask why I use a meter & Disconnect combo, when I could just use a meter on a back to back installation. I could save a dollar or two.
I didn't do any residential work until a few years back and didn't realize that trimming every penny was so important. Now I keep getting advice on the rock bottom way of doing things. Cheaper this & cheaper that. If you over size conductors to keep down voltage drop ( long runs ). Someone always says "it's not a requirement".
I would just put a disconnect out there, it's not that big of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.