Lightning (Surge) arresters

Status
Not open for further replies.

d and o

I'm looking in Article 280 for the need of an arrester on a service. Although it goes into detail as to the method for this installation, I can't see where the article mandates a surge arrester be installed at all?

Is this listed somewhere else in the NEC?

I've got an inspector telling my field employee that an arrester IS NOT required although I'm almost sure we've been turned down for not having one in the past.

charlie

Re: Lightning (Surge) arresters

It depends on where you are located. If the local jurisdiction has required one by ordinance, you would be required to have one. The NEC does not require them to be used. :D

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think Surge Arrestors may be required by the NEC in some areas where a spark could be hazardous or a sudden shutdown could be hazardous(like maybe for a chemical process). I can't find a code reference right now.

Then again, I could be remembering wrong. At any case, if your application isn't anything like this, Charlie is right.

Steve

d and o

But I'm in Florida.

I've got to research further, maybe the power company requires it

jimwalker

Some if not all do.Florida is the capital of lightning.Call the local poco, more than likely you need it.And they are a good idea.Takes what maybe 10 extra minutes.

dereckbc

Staff member

The most effective TVSS is installed by the POCO in the meter base, or built into main panel. If it is new construction buy your panel with it built in. It will outperform anything you could add on.

d and o

Thanks fellas. We've installed them on all services per specifications and/or a standard type, for the past 22 years, I'm aware of.

The inspector's comment is what prompted me to inquire. This was our county dept, and they stay up on things quite well, but this is the first time I've heard an inspector had made this statement.
He was pointing out to one of our employees that the wires should take the shortest route possible when he told him the NEC didn't require it, and it made me wonder just who did mandate this.
Sometimes you forget these things.

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by d and o:
He was pointing out to one of our employees that the wires should take the shortest route possible when he told him the NEC didn't require it,
Youre inspector is correct about lead length. If they are longer than 6 inches, it make the device useless. Hence why I suggest built into the main panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.