GFCI breaker and Plugmold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dedicated circuit with dedicated neutral on a GFCI breaker that is protecting 6ft of 20A plugmold.
When the inspector and I tested the GFI breaker with an IDeal GFI plug in tester it would not trip the GFI breaker.
But the plug in tester did work on regular GFI receptacle.

Is there a problem using a SQD GFI circuit breaker on Plugmold?

hurk27

Re: GFCI breaker and Plugmold

It could be one of two things.
1. ground and neutral reversed (will trip when a load is applied)
2. Bad breaker not tripping at the required 4 to 7 ma.

#1 will not show anything wrong on a three light tester as both the grounds and neutral are connected to the same buss at the panel.
Also does the breaker trip when the button on the breaker is pushed?

[ November 11, 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The plug in GFCI testers require a equipment ground to be present. If you are using the wiremold as allowed by 250.118 the resistance may be too high. The GFCI test button puts a resistor in series with neutral and hot to generate allow a 4-6 mA fault. Some would say the plug in testers are not reliable, but you need to know the limitations of them.

noxx

The real problem here is that you installed plugmold at all, which is in fact, the handi-work of the debil. :roll

hurk27

The real problem here is that you installed plugmold at all, which is in fact, the handi-work of the debil.
And what is wrong with Plug mold Noxx?

The "2005" is now going to allow it on the front of the bathroom sink cabinet which tells me it's OK

And in the kitchen it has it's place, as there are some places where it would be imposable to install a regular receptacle.

cjcrawfo

The only problem I have ever had with Plug Mold is the cost of it!! I have used it in many applications where placing boxes with regular recepticles would have not been very practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.