viking oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

avi

Doing a rough in (residential) for a viking wall oven and spec sheet requires 4 wire w/ ground (240/120v/30A). In past I would run 10-3 romex. Does viking require a extra wire ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: viking oven

Originally posted by avi:
Doing a rough in (residential) for a viking wall oven and spec sheet requires 4 wire w/ ground (240/120v/30A). In past I would run 10-3 romex. Does viking require a extra wire ?
what would the extra wire be used for? are you talking running a total of 5 wires? does it plug in?

stamcon

Viking's web site has installation PDFs for their ovens. The one looked at stated 4 wire w/ground. It must be a typo and they mean 3 wire w/ground (4 wire including a ground). The electrical schematics only show L1, N and L2.

highkvoltage

The 2002 NEC on all of your 240 volt appliances (ovens, dryers, ect.) require 2 ungrounded conductors, 1 grounded conductor and an equipment ground. Before the change you would pick the neutral up at the appliance through the ground. If you have to provide a new circuit for an old appliance you would still use a four conductor and separate the neutral and equipment ground at the appliance and change the three conductor cord to a four conductor cord and change the outlet.

avi

I am going to run a new circuit because the old one is aluminum. If I understand you correctly, 10-3 with ground is what I should run.

jimwalker

yes 10-3 if they say 30 amps.But be carefull some new double ovens or oven /microwave combo require more than 30 amps.We learned the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.