shunt trip breakers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

heres my problem. i'm remodeling a foodcourt with kitchen equipment on shunt trip breakers. my panel schedule is like this: 2-fryers (shunt)
4-
6-hot holder
and so on, problem is that my breaker shunt is on top in the number 2 space not the four spot like on the schedule. so if i put my breaker in the panel i now would have my fryer circuit which is a black wire(#2 according to schedule) in space four which is red, and in turn would mess the rest of the schedule colors up. Is this an error on the engineer or do i simply put the breaker in with the circuit color per schedule even though it wouldnt be in its correct position if you follow black, red, blue.do you understand what i am saying? what should i do???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: shunt trip breakers.....

I'm assuming that you've pulled all of your branch circuits with the sequence of Black, Red, Blue. If this problem applied to both the odd and even numbers than I would say that you could simply change the coloring sequence of the feeder to the panel so that all of your branch circuits would match the feeder.

Are you saying that only circuits 2 & 4 would be out of sequence? I would just re-number those two circuits and call it a day. It's not required by the NEC that a certain color wire be terminated on it's corresponding phase.

Regarding the engineering, almost all of the electrical drawings that we use contain a note that says "circuit numbers are for informational purpose only, field conditions prevail". This gets the engineer off the hook.

Trevor

[ August 06, 2005, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: infinity ]

bigjohn67

If you pulled one neutral for 3 hots (3phase) you have problems and it appears that lack of experience is the root. Now if this is not the case and you are concerned with color coordination, then go by some Black, red and blue tape and wrap away.

sceepe

Send in a RFI to the engineer. Odds are he won't care if you just install it on the B phase instead of the A phase unless it really messes up the phase balancing.

From an engineers perspective its pretty hard to layout a panel that will work for all manufactures. Each manufacturer has different requirements (like which side the shunt trip is on, or the max breaker size that can be adjacent). IMO, your engineer will have to be a little flexible since he / she didn't know what kind of gear you would be using when he did the panel schedule.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If you pulled one neutral for 3 hots (3phase) you have problems and it appears that lack of experience is the root.
Why would one neutral with 3 circuits be a problem? As long as they're all on different phases everything would be OK.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

why not just move circuit #4 to another "B" phase slot or move the st breakers to a spot where there is no B phase adjaccent....
I'd rather relabel the panel schedule than gedt my phases out of sequence, especially if you are sharing neutrals...
seems simple, am I overlooking something?

Status
Not open for further replies.