earthing cable thro comn ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

siva

Hi
We are running communication cables (cat 5e and fiber optic) through a cable ladder.We have to provide a separate earthing system also.Is it possible to run the earthing cable also through the same cable ladder?

Thanks in advance
Siva

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: earthing cable thro comn ladder

The answer is maybe.

If this "earthing system" is really part of an equipment bonding conductor, then it has to be run with the power conductors.

If it is some supplementary grounding system that probably serves no good purpose anyway, than its probably Ok to do this.

The way this was phrased makes me think you might be in a country other than the US. If so, electrical regulations where you are may be different.

siva

Hi Bob
You are right.I am working in US navy,Middle East.We have to provide a wall mounted ground bus in each communication room.And also we have a seperate groung rod outside the building.To connect these two I have to run a earth wire from ground rod to the wall bus.Can I run this wire along with the cat 5e and Fiber Optic cables?
Thanks once again
Sivaji

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I suspect the US Navy has a big manual somewhere that details how this is supposed to be handled.

I am a little nervous about the way you describe what you plan to do. You did not mention connecting these supplementary ground rods back to the service ground point.

[ June 12, 2005, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Around here we always install a wall mounted grounding bus in Intermediate Frame Rooms (IDF) for the bonding of metallic cable trays, ladder racks and equipment racks. The grounding bus is then bonded to building steel or a separate grounding riser both of which that are bonded to the building service. I agree that using only a grounding rod sounds like a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.