Hi leg coloring on 240 3 phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

We know that black, red and blue are the standard colors for ungrounded conductors on 208 3 phase as a general rule. When you go to 240 1 phase it is black and red. Now when you go to 240 3 phase you still have black and red, but do you still use the blue even though it is a 208 hi leg? This is on a delta system of course. Do some of you add another color such as orange or yellow above the blue to flag that the wire is a hi leg?

I think we got to where we used orange and blue to try and send a message somehow. How do some of the other people do this?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is covered in 110.15 and 230.56.

Roger

Lady Engineer

I always tell the contractor to use orange, and tell the EC to put a black sign with white letters above the panel saying it as high or wild leg. I usualy spec B as the high/wild leg as well, but by code it can be any leg.

Lady :)

jwelectric

Lady Engineer said:
I usualy spec B as the high/wild leg as well, but by code it can be any leg.

I have polished my amour and brushed my white stallion. My lance is waxed and my sword is sharpened. Here I come to the rescue to a young damsel in distress.

408.3(E) Phase Arrangement. The phase arrangement on 3-phase buses shall be A, B, C from front to back, top to bottom, or left to right, as viewed from the front of the switchboard or panelboard. The B phase shall be that phase having the higher voltage to ground on 3-phase, 4-wire, delta-connected systems. Other busbar arrangements shall be permitted for additions to existing installations and shall be marked.

I hope that my rescue was successful, my lady (my head is low my body bent at the waist, a bow in you presence my lady)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When in the same situation, I use black, orange, and blue. To me, there is not enough contrast to use orange and red in the same system.

Lady Engineer

jwelectric said:
I have polished my amour and brushed my white stallion. My lance is waxed and my sword is sharpened. Here I come to the rescue to a young damsel in distress.

408.3(E) Phase Arrangement. The phase arrangement on 3-phase buses shall be A, B, C from front to back, top to bottom, or left to right, as viewed from the front of the switchboard or panelboard. The B phase shall be that phase having the higher voltage to ground on 3-phase, 4-wire, delta-connected systems. Other busbar arrangements shall be permitted for additions to existing installations and shall be marked.

I hope that my rescue was successful, my lady (my head is low my body bent at the waist, a bow in you presence my lady)

Oops! My fault.....ok, you got me...but no swords please, I'm afraid of being cut.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
LarryFine said:
When in the same situation, I use black, orange, and blue. To me, there is not enough contrast to use orange and red in the same system.

I'm with Larry. Toss the red and use orange for the B phase. Around here one POCO requires Purple for the high leg.

jwelectric

Lady Engineer said:
Oops! My fault.....ok, you got me...but no swords please, I'm afraid of being cut.

I was hoping that you would see me as your Knight in shinning armor coming to rescue you.

Next time I shall ride in on my white stallion with a bouquet of flowers instead of that old sword and scaring you.

P.S. Can I take off all this metal? It sure gets heavy and it is hot just sitting here waiting for a damsel in destress.

celtic

I thought I was on AOL:

A/S/L
pukey.gif

:D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
purple

purple

In this area, purple is required in place of orange as a phase conductor on 480Y/277. A few facilities have both 480/277 and 240 Hi-Leg. As orange is required for the Hi-Leg system, purple is used on the 480 to maintain seperate identity of the systems per 210.5(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.