Motion Sensor for Driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

I've seen various motion sensors available, and I'm looking for recommendations for what you guys recommend for a good/dependable unit for turning on driveway floods. The sensor would want to turn on when triggered by either an individual walking in front of them or the owner driving his/her car in their field of sensing.

Thanks

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
My flip answer is, "The one that looks right for the decor."

I've installed a myriad of different brands and models over the years. At this point, the electronics are pretty standard, and all are essentially effective, in my opinion.

Use a little electrical tape to mask the window of vision to help reduce the nuisance triggers from the neighbors walking about.

Mount the unit at the manufacturer's recommended height.

Consider remote mounting the lamps if the eye mounting is low enough to have bulbs located with it shining straight into the driver's eyes.

bobbyho

Try looking into a motor vehicle sensor device. This doesn't work on motion but senses metal. Not only would it pick up a motor vehicle but also a bike or even a set of keys in a persons pocket. I saw this at a Home Integration course and although I never installed it or even seen one at a persons house, they seem real cool. Home Integration, never seen in it real life although I have been trying to sell it to builders. It is supposed to be huge everywhere except in New England where I am. Anyway, it could turn on lights, cameras or even a sprinkler system, whatever you want it to. Supposedly.

ceknight

bjp_ne_elec said:
I've seen various motion sensors available, and I'm looking for recommendations for what you guys recommend for a good/dependable unit for turning on driveway floods.

Two of my local shops carry RAB fixtures, and I'm happy with them. But I've installed plenty of other brands/styles, and they all seem to work fine.

One caution: make sure the lampholders will accommodate compact fluorescent flood bulbs. Some of the cheapos won't.

bjp_ne_elec

I checked out RAB, and although they're more money, the customer I'm dealing with decided to go with them. He liked the style of the lamp holders of the Stealth STL110HBW and like the CU4 cover. It's neat as it fits either round or rectangular boxes.

Thanks for those of you who recommended them - I'm happy with their quality. Definitely beat the Cheapo Depot ones I looked at - and I think ya "get what ya pay for" - the claim is less nuisance trips.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.