operating room emergency power

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: operating room emergency power

Kind of, you must have a light source that is immediate upon loss of power (see 517.63) and the Critical Branch fed from the Essential System.

Roger

JimEL

OK on power and lighting, but are two separate sources required by NEC for power?

Jim

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Your first post asked about "two emergency sources". Your second post mentioned "two sources". They aren't the same question, but I think I know what you are wanting to know.

Two sources are required. One emergency (like from a generator) and one normal (from the power company). These are ran through an automatic transfer switch to the receptacles.

But we aren't done. In addition to the receptacles mentioned above, you must also have receptacles on normal power only, or receptacles fed from a separate transfer switch. These are in case the first transfer switch fails.

You can find all this under 517.19.

Steve

[ February 28, 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Like Steve, I too am uncertain what you are asking. You might be asking if you need two generators, in addition to the utility. That is, are you asking if you need to have the normal source (utility), and Emergency Source 1 (i.e., Generator 1), and Emergency Source 2 (i.e., Generator 2)? If so, that answer is no.

Can you clarify your question? Perhaps if you tell us why you are asking (e.g., conflicting instructions from engineer, or perhaps red tag from inspector), we might better understand the purpose of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.