Military spec design experience (urgent need!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey-man

Is there anyone in the forum who has experience in military spec designs? specifically with navy yards. Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Military spec design experience (urgent need!)

I have dabbled in it. What is your specific question?

rey-man

i am trying to find a cable gland or diaphragm of some sort mounted on an enclosure that would allow someone to tie-in a ship's telephone feeder to a panel on shore. The procedure is to insert the cable through the gland or diaphragm in order to punch in the telephone cable to a terminal block without exposing it to the elements.

have you encountered the same thing? can you help me out.
thanks in advance.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

The military probably has something as you describe that costs $$$$$. What is the OD of the cable? As a taxpayer I would think that a $4.00 compression connector would fill the bill. Keep in mind that the ship isn't going anywhere with that cable connected so rough seas shouldn't be a problem.

When it does leave port unscrew the connector and replace it with a threaded plug. That will probably work even on a sub.

-Hal

rey-man

Thanks. I was thinking of the same thing but i am looking for something that would be wrapping around the cable when its there and closes up the opening when its not so that you dont have to worry about putting back the cover. the cable diameter is around 3".

hbiss

Occupation
EC

The 3 inch diameter is going to be a problem. No flexible cable connector that I know of is nearly that large. Is this method of providing land lines something that is frequently done?

-Hal

hbiss

Occupation
EC

well, its for the telephone system in the ship.

Yes, I understand but that's a bit primitive in this day and age of satellite communications wouldn't you say? What do they do at sea?

-Hal

gpedens

Have you tried the Amphenol or Bendix catalog? They make a bunch of those large milspec multipin connectors. If memory serves me they go up to about 4 inches or a 64 series. A 3 inch would be a 48 series. I think some of them have about a hundred pins/sockets that would handle a fifty pair line. Cannon and Pyle also make them. I have seen them in Newark, Mouser, and Digikeys catalogs (www.digikey.com and www.mouser.com). How many pins / sockets? Dont be surprised and pass out from sticker shock. The crimping tool runs about 300 to 500 bucks plus calibration fee. Some of the smaller more common connectors such as the 20 series are not too pricey.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

I was going to suggest one of those connectors also but I suspect that the problem might be one of compatibility when using them. Every port would need a shore cable with that connector on the end. Not likley. That's why no connector is used and the cable is simply punched down on.

Am I correct Ray-Man?

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.