Removing ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandsnow

Re: Removing ground rods

On the one that drove all the way, how about just driving below grade?

We used to use something called a haven's grip

1604-20_icon.jpg

Probably not likely you have one.

Try a wire rope clamp on the rod.

On the one that didn't drive in all the way, try using a rebar bender to bend it 180 and then wrap a bunch of wire around it so it doesn't straighten out.

I assume you have a forklift or skip loader to pull it out with a chain.

luckyshadow

I have had some luck using a 18" or 36" pipe wrench. get a bite on it with the wrench and work it around to and fro while pulling upward.
Most times I would cut it off or drive it down.
Taking them out just stinks.
Some thing else I have used ... an apprentice :D
great way to "test" how well they can think on their own.

[ October 07, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: luckyshadow ]

peter d

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Cut it off and abandon it.
I agree. It's not even worth the effort to remove them, unless work is really slow and you have an apprentice sitting idle. Even then it's not worth it considering a 5/8" x 8' ground rod is about $8.

[ October 07, 2005, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

AC-DC

If you really gotta get it out, you could leave the hose on a tiny trickle for a few days, that'll soften up the ground nice, than use the other ideas that were given. Have used that with success in sinking them in the first place.

sheldon_ace

You could use an old fashion bumper jack and a haven's grip and a strong rope to ratchet the rod out. I say bury below grade and forget about it. :)

paul32

Thanks for the ideas. I think the temp service rod will get left in, and if I can't get the other out with water and a jack, it'll get cut off.

mhulbert

Using the hole in one of the forks on a forklift-

lower the fork over the rod with it sticking up through the hole. Clamp vise-grips on ground rod. Raise forks.

Jhr

Why don't you tunnel under the ground rod remove the 10 billion pound boulder or fossilized T-rex dinosuar that has your ground rod in its grip go back up to the surface of the earth in your binford 8600 tunneling machine, with twin double diamond tipped boreing blades and dual nuclear 46" round exahust pipes, and finish driving the ground rod to the center of the earth, and walla! done deal :D Just kidding! Bryan got it right cut it off and start again.

electric_instructor

Bend it over, or cut it off!

BUT, if the inspector just HAS to see it removed, use a piece of chain, (I can't think of the right size)so that a link just fits on the rod, then hook it up to any pulling source (Bumper ;) (I didn't say that!), useing another chain, or cable.

Place it (the chain, or cable) over an old wheel rim,(the bigger, the better) and immediatly over the rod, and tug!

Walla! ;) It will role right out. May have to re-set the link a time or two, to get it all the way out, but probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.