Upstairs sub panel and oven question

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldham

I have just added a second story to my home for my mother. I have a 200Amp service on the original part of the house. I put a 100A subpanel upstairs for ease of wiring being that the second story has about 10 circuits. An electrican i work with said he seems to think the subpanel is too large. Is that true. I seem to recall installing a 100A subpanel in a garage i built and it passed inspection.
My other question is, is there any rule against installing a range on the second floor?

thanks fellas!

JohnE

Re: Upstairs sub panel and oven question

It is certainly not "too big" unless you are adding more load than the main panel can accomodate. If after a load calc, the main panel will handle the load, you could install a 200 amp subpanel if you wish. Be sure that the location where you install the subpanel is legal.

As far as a 2nd floor range, it may be a building/ zoning issue. What is the scope of your building permit? Is 2nd kitchen or in-law use allowed?

goldham

John,

In the subpanel there will be 3 15A, 3 20A, 2 DP 30A, 1 DP 50A and 1 DP 60A. There is a separate heating and cooling unit in the attic. If i had to i could move those 2 circuits to my main panel. Should i do that??

Also, the plans were approved by the county with a kitchen on the plans. But an oven was not shown. I have a call into my county office now.
Thanks for the help.

Greg Oldham
Wilmington, DE

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The ratings of the breakers is not relevant. What matters is the ratings of the loads being added. You need to do the load calculation that John mentioned.

There is nothing in the NEC about putting a range on the second floor. If the plans called for a kitchen, then the city has no reason to be surprised in you want that kitchen to include a range.

Status
Not open for further replies.