Hot Tub GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyboy

I went to wire a hot tub and I noticed that the circuit board for the motor did not have a nuetral termination screw. So I checked the manual and it said do not use a nuetral conductor. Now how can I install a gfci breaker without a nuetral? :confused: I have a 40A load center ready to go...Any comments? Thanks

jerseyboy

Re: Hot Tub GFCI

Thanks, But I am a licensed electrician. I am aware of gfci operation but I never had to deal with a 3 wire hot tub before. I was always firm on the belieif that the one goes out has to come back and that is where your neutral comes in. The load side of the gfci reads it and if there is a imbalance the sensor will pick it up and trip. But there is no neutral so I just have to connect the pig tail to the main neutral bus. Thanks

james wuebker

jerseyboy
If you have your GFCI breaker in the disconnect at the tub area you need to have a neutral to that box. The GFCI needs that neutral to make it work. The GFCI will sense your 2 hot conductors and not your neutral. So on your tub side you will need your hots(ungrounded conductors) hooked to your breaker and your grounding wire hooked to your grounding wire at the disconnect. Nothing will be hooked to your neutral expect for your GFCI breaker. Also remember that you don't bond your neutral and ground together at your tub disconnect. Hope this will help.
Jim

luke warmwater

Originally posted by jerseyboy:
Thanks, But I am a licensed electrician.
Your profile states that you are an apprentice. If you've moved up, you might want to update your profile too. :)

jerseyboy

Hey James, That is exactly what what I did. I brought out hot legs, Neutral and an equipment ground to the line side of my disconnect to a seperate neutral bus. Then I ran from the load side of the breaker my 2 hots and an equipment groung off of a ground bar. I kept the neutral bus unbonded to the disconnect. I tested the gfi and it works fine. As for you lukewarm water, If you are going to take a snobby tack and insult me, keep it to yourself! Jerseyboy, Over & Out.

physis

I might be wrong but I don't think luke warmwater meant to be disrespectful, I certainly didn't see any insults. He's a pretty nice guy. I saw electrician apprentice on your profile and thought the same thing.

A lot of times the smiley face means no offence intended. :)

George, aren't you a little young to know about the owl? :p

iwire

Staff member

As for you lukewarm water, If you are going to take a snobby tack and insult me, keep it to yourself! Jerseyboy, Over & Out.
JB where did you see an insult? :confused:

I see that Luke Warmwater searched and found 3 threads covering the subject based on the belief you where an apprentice.

'Luke' is a nice guy, heck he got me autographed picture of the 2005 Playmate of the year, made out to iwire.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by physis:
George, aren't you a little young to know about the owl? :)

Edit to add: You're not technically "licensed" if your license has "APPRENTICE" stamped on it. :p

[ August 05, 2005, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

luke warmwater

Originally posted by iwire:
[qb] As for you lukewarm water, If you are going to take a snobby tack and insult me, keep it to yourself! Jerseyboy, Over & Out.
JB where did you see an insult? :D

[ August 05, 2005, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: luke warmwater ]

luke warmwater

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Can take the Boy out of Jersey but can't take the Jersey out of the boy. :)

By the way, Here's mine:
Ogle all you want, but please keep the drool off of your monitor as it could cause a short circut and your circut breaker might trip, causing the urgent need for an electrician to be summond. :D

EDIT:
You had long enough to ogle. :D

Sam, I guarantee it is not forged. Phone number is xxx.xxx.xxxx

[ August 07, 2005, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: luke warmwater ]

Status
Not open for further replies.