How much time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

Am I working too slow?

I am just starting out. It takes me and a helper about 3 eight-hour days to rough in a residential basement finishing job.

We install:

22 outlets
24 recess lights
5 ceiling boxes for globe lights
2 CATV
2 Telephone
1 Ceiling Fan prewire
14 switches (4 three ways)

Is this average time or too slow? What is the norm?

Thank you in advance.

macmikeman

Re: How much time?

The right speed to work is the speed at which you make the least amount of mistakes. Take the time to do the job well.
Add the finishing touches, double check your work for codes, sweep up the floors, and call the inspector. You will do well in buisiness if you stick to this pattern. In awhile your speed will probably pick up some, but if your quality is high, then that is what your customer remembers and the word gets out to hire your company. The thing to do is to make sure you are charging enough to cover for the hours you are working, not what the going rate happens to be in your area. Maybe the generals will say you charge more than the other guy's, but they will also say you are worth it if they love your work. This has been my road to sucess in the buisiness since 1984, and knock on wood , hope for another 15 good years or so ahead.

rich000

Thank you. I understand the quality issue, but I also want to be competitive and need to know if I should improve my time.

russellroberts

Rich, I don't know your age,but that would be about the time it takes myself and 1 helper to do what you described.

I could work faster when I was in my 20's and 30's but am no speed demon at 47.

I can't compete with the EC's who have 4 or 5 young guys to rough in an 1800 ft house in 1 day,so I try to concentrate on effciency,quality and good communication/customer relations.

Russell

msmeth

Rich, I have 17 men and am cutting back to better contoll things. I have run 26M projects in the past and am a firm belever in quality rough-in. The time wasted trouble shooting a poor but fast rough job will eat all your profits and sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.