Clogged Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenut25

Anyone have any ideas for unclogging deck pipes? They are most likely filled with cement but thats not confirmed. Attempted using a 1/4" metal snake but that was a waste of time.

celtic

Distilled white vinegar...right off the shelf at the supermarket...let it sit for 24 hrs, then send a mandrel through to clear it out...a little water to further neutral the vinegar...and you're done.

aja21

celtic said:
Distilled white vinegar...right off the shelf at the supermarket...let it sit for 24 hrs, then send a mandrel through to clear it out...a little water to further neutral the vinegar...and you're done.
Coca Cola used the same way if its not to solid.

ashtrak

concrete in pipes

concrete in pipes

I've seen blasting caps used in rare instances for concrete in feeder pipes. They were pushed down to the clog and set off. It was a desperate attempt that worked.The other alternative was costly enough that the risk was worth it.

hillbilly

celtic said:

I learned something new today...all is well
steve

raider1

Staff member
Just don't try to fill the pipe full of acetelyne and throw in a match.:D

My grandfather told me about an electrician that had done this to loosen up some grout that had filled a conduit in a concrete block wall. When he threw the match in the conduit the acetelyne exploded and blew a couple of the concrete blocks apart.

Chris

hardworkingstiff

I've used the vineger with great success, mostly clearing chico out of old conduits where someone did a poor job of packing a sealoff.

The 1st big mistake I made with it was filling conduits from the inside and the dispenser side, letting it sit overnight. Next day I hooked up an air compressor to the conduit outside (too difficult to get the hose inside).

Well, ..................... it was pretty difficult cleaning up the back room.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
hardworkingstiff said:
I've used the vineger with great success, mostly clearing chico out of old conduits where someone did a poor job of packing a sealoff.

The 1st big mistake I made with it was filling conduits from the inside and the dispenser side, letting it sit overnight. Next day I hooked up an air compressor to the conduit outside (too difficult to get the hose inside).

Well, ..................... it was pretty difficult cleaning up the back room.

Hook up a wet-dry shop vac to the end of the pipe and suck out whatever you've put in there. When you're convinced you've sucked the pipe mostly dry, reverse the direction and let the vac sit for another for 20 or 30 minutes. The hot air from the shop vac should help it dry out further.

hardworkingstiff

tallgirl said:
Hook up a wet-dry shop vac to the end of the pipe and suck out whatever you've put in there. When you're convinced you've sucked the pipe mostly dry, reverse the direction and let the vac sit for another for 20 or 30 minutes. The hot air from the shop vac should help it dry out further.

That 185 CFM compressor puts out some pretty hot air.

Status
Not open for further replies.