Weatherproof receptacle covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
When are the in use receptacle covers required?
Our 3rd party inspection agency is telling us we
MUST always use an "In use" receptacle on an outdoor receptacle.
I exclude us from needing this cover by quoting
section 406.8(B)(2)(b)Which to me says if you have an outdoor receptacle that is used only while attended the cover need not be The "In use"type.
He is using the explanation of that section which says the section only applies to other than 15 or 20 amp 125 and 250 volt receptacles.But the code section itself does not say that.
I think the explanation is wrong.
If I'm wrong so be it.
Can someone give me an explanation or interpertation of this section?
Do we have to always use "in use" covers no matter what? And,if so why are the other covers even available?
All responses will be appreciated!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Weatherproof receptacle covers

From Mike Holts training material.

1100556971_2.jpg

The word ?outdoors? was deleted from this rule. The effect? All 15 and 20A 125V and 250V receptacles installed in a wet location (indoor or outdoor) must be within an enclosure that is weatherproof when an attachment plug is inserted.

(B) Receptacles in Wet Locations.
(1) 15 and 20A Receptacles. All 15 and 20A 125V and 250V receptacles installed in a wet location must be within an enclosure that is weatherproof even when an attachment plug is inserted. Figure 406-2

(2) Other Receptacles. Receptacles rated other than 15 or 20A or having a voltage rating of 208V installed in a wet location must comply with (a) or (b): Figure 406-3

(a) Wet Location Cover. A receptacle installed in a wet location, where the load isn?t attended while in use, must have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the attachment plug cap inserted or removed.

(b) Damp Location Cover. A receptacle installed in a wet location for use with portable tools can have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

Roger

lauraj

406.8(B)(1) applies to 15- and 20-Amp receptacles in a wet location. These must always have an in-use cover as the section says.
406.8(B)(2) gives requirements for all other types of receptacles where you may not need an in-use cover.

The article seems clear on these requirements. Am I not understanding your question?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

gcr: Probably has a lot to do with which book you're reading. This requirement has changed a lot since first introduced (earliest code I have here is '66 and it tends to support your theory), however, as the guys pointed out, in the 2002 and 2005 Codes the requiremnt is a lot more strict.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Ok,
After reading this section again and again I realize I'am wrong.
I was looking for a way to quit using this cover and save my company some money and I just read something into the section that wasn't there.My bad.
I will send an E-mail company wide and change back to the In-use cover that we were using.
Thanks for your input,I appreciate it!

electricmanscott

I don't understand how not using this cover would save your company money. I assume you charge the customer for materials. :confused:

If this cover is say 12 bucks with a 30% markup you are selling it at $15.60

The other covers are maybe 5 bucks. Mark that up 30% and sell it for $6.50.

That's $1.50 vs $3.60 markup.
Your company should be making more money using the in use covers.

[ January 10, 2006, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

jimwalker

Someone got taken care of to force us to use these cheap overpriced covers that will be doing great if they last a year.Some break before ever installed.All part of big brother.

jbwhite

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Someone got taken care of to force us to use these cheap overpriced covers that will be doing great if they last a year.Some break before ever installed.All part of big brother.
it is an attempt at keeping the rain off the wire, what is your option?

sceepe

The plastic ones are garbage. Intermatic has a metallic one I spec for commercial projects that has a chance of still being operable in 6 months. see this link

iwire

Staff member

If you care at all you have to use the metal ones and get them as large as possible so they are not broken being forced closed over heavy cords.

jimwalker

Problem is most companies will only buy the cheaper ones unless the specs call for a certain model number.The idea behind them is good but if they allow the plastic fast break type then what we have in a short time is not even as good as the old style WP covers.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Problem is most companies will only buy the cheaper ones unless the specs call for a certain model number.The idea behind them is good but if they allow the plastic fast break type then what we have in a short time is not even as good as the old style WP covers.
Jim , that sounds like a personal problem.

Does anyone have any experience with these from Arlington?

DBVS1W.jpg

If so how do they hold up?

Roger

electricmanscott

Roger, that is all I use now. They are great. Good quality and not nearly as ugly as the other type.

If you make a little bit of an effort broken covers are not an issue.

[ January 11, 2006, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Thanks Scott, they look like a nice product.

Roger

tshea

Originally posted by roger:
Jim , that sounds like a personal problem.

Does anyone have any experience with these from Arlington?

DBVS1W.jpg

If so how do they hold up?

Roger
Just installed 8 3 months ago. Still in operational condition. Will keep an eye on them.

B

bthielen

Hope no-one minds but I'd like to sidetrack from this conversation a little bit.

I have installed a few while-in-use covers at my farm and have noticed a problem with them. Here in the northern climates, winter is rough on electrical cords because things just don't remain as flexible. I have a couple outdoor rated extension cords that were advertised to stay flexible even in cold weather but when it gets below 0 degrees F. they too get brittle. While-in-use covers force the cord to bend rather sharp if one closes the cover and this has caused the outer jacket of just about every extension cord I own to crack near the male plug exposing the interior wires.

Fortunately, the wire's insulation has not cracked enough yet so that when I grab the cord to unplug it I get a shock. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

In these conditions, it seems that using these covers is a greater hazard than leaving the receptacle uncovered.

Bob

straps

We have over 150 of these in use covers two gang size mostly we mount them 2 each 2 gang per landscape pole. With in use covers we hook up over 900,000 lighting displays to them and with 4 cords per cover they never stay shut so we have improvised here is what we did to protect the plugs and gfcis
We take a 5 gal bucket ( Paint it green) drill a #10 hole in the middle of the bottom gorilla glue a fender washer inside and out.
Each of our power poles has 2 each 2gang bell boxes and in use covers these are in 90 locations. So we plug in the displays for that area and then put the bucket over it and with a wing nut #10 we spin the nut onto the threaded stud ( Screw thread one side-coarse thread the other side )that keeps the cover on and last rainfall we only lost 1 pole. We removed the cords dryed them out and re-connected no problems anyone wanting a picture drop me a line and I will send you the pictures.
We turn everything on Dec 1 and they are on from 6 pm to 10 pm 7 days a week. This is our 10th year.
We are located in the city of Pembroke Pines Florida. Yes we do get inspected at least 5 times every year no summons as yet :cool:

mdshunk

I've installed a few hundred of those Arlington "flush" type in use boxes/covers. Two tips that I can pass along. The cover detaches, and if you trace around it, it is a perfect template for cutting the rectangle in the plywood or OSB. Also, take the covers off and take them with you or box them up with your bath fan trims, or they will be MIA when you come back for finish.

Other than that, they're super duper, and the builders love them. Builders absolutely hate the ugly bubble covers. These Arlington ones are no more expensive than installing whatever box you normally use, a j-block, and a traditional bubble cover, and make for a superior job.

Status
Not open for further replies.