PF Compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin

I recently came across a welder that had a nameplate with a maximum OCP of 110A or 70A with Power Factor compensated. I am not familiar with what or exactly how to apply that info. Anyone that could help would be great! Justin

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: PF Compensation?

A welder is a highly ?inductive? load. That means that it stores energy within a magnetic field, in a manner similar to that of a motor. This causes it to exchange current with the magnetic field of the power source (i.e., service transformer or generator). This ?extra current? is the reason there is a difference between ?real power? (KW) and ?reactive power? (KVA).

A capacitor bank (and certain other devices) will store energy within an electric field. If you install one of these devices downstream of the welder?s branch circuit breaker, then the magnetic field of the welder will exchange current with the electric field of the capacitor bank, instead of with the power source. Therefore, this ?extra current? will not pass through the circuit breaker, and you can use a smaller circuit breaker.

Do you want to do this? It's an economic choice. Compare the cost of the capacitor bank (include cost savings for reduced energy usage) against the cost of a larger OCPD and larger conductors. Then make your own decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.