Wire Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenhorn

I just bought the 2005 NEC Code Book but it has not arrived yet. I thought I would toss this out
to the forum.
I am installing a 15kw generator and 200 amp
transfer switch at the farm. The generator is 90 feet away from the transfer switch. I was told by Generac to use 300v wire. The product doc's state the wire range for Generator to Transfer Switch power leads to be #6 - 250 MCM.
The doc's also recommend for the start circuit wires (generator to switch) to be #18 AWG at 1 - 480 feet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I have no idea what wire to use.

Thanks.

sceepe

Re: Wire Sizing

Greenhorn,

You really really?really?need to get a liscensed electrician to install the genset and xfer switch for you. If you get a little info off this site or from the NEC and then set out to wire it up yourself you are really taking a chance that you might create a situation where you can hurt someone or burn down your barn.

The NEC that you have ordered is not a design guide. Its a minimum standard for electrical work. Even if you read it cover to cover and completely understand it (we wouldn't have this web site if the NEC was understandable), it is not going to tell you the best way to route the wiring, or the best kind of wire to use, of the best location for the genset or about 4 hundred other things you need to consider. (and that a good electrician will be able to tell you)

I'm a liscensed electrical engineer and I design electrical systems for a living. I would never install a genset on my home without an electrician. There is just too much power and too much room for error.

Please get some help

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I concur.

I am not as sure as the previous poster that I would never attempt to do such an install myself, but it is highly likely that I would hire such a thing done by someone experienced and competent in such things.

There are way too many things that can go wrong that are not obvious.

I would not hire just any old electrician off the street either. I would suggest someone who has done these type of installs before. No reason you should be part of his learning curve.

charlie

You have already gotten two great answers.

This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.