I C cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Re: I C cans

To comply with energy codes, there can't be huge gaps or breaks in insulation. This would rule out non-IC cans in the majority of installations.

I can't think of many places where you could still install a non-IC can. :confused: Perhaps a rec room in a basement. I have not seen a non-IC can installed in a new home for quite some time now.

Most of the new codes are requiring cans to be air-tight.

[ July 10, 2005, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

The occupancy energy codes and building code requirements in efffect for the jurisdiction will be a component (in addition to the NEC) of the regulation brought to bare at the job address.

jimwalker

The cans involved are in an office with hard ceilings.Seems that 50 some of them without IC got installed without being noticed.Will get more details monday morning.I was surprised that
non i c were even available anymore.There are i c cans that are not air tight but why would anyone use a non ic can ?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

The shorty cans I have used are non-IC rated. They have gotten me out of a pinch or two.

What does IC/non-IC have to do with air-tightness? Halos are holier than...a...holy thing and are IC rated. :)

[ July 10, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Jim,

Is this ceiling insulated?

As an aside, the basic thermally protected nonIC can is hugely installed up here in Minnesota. Just have to go to IC and IC air tights when insulation is in contact or the building energy requirements dictate.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

We use both types in residential construction. Any area without insulation we use the non-IC type. This would be uninsulated ceilings on the first floor of a two story dwelling or in a basement. In all insulated areas we use the IC type. Here in the northeast attic spaces generally require R-38 insulation which is about 12-13 inches thick. This covers the IC-can entirely.

speedypetey

What infinity said.

I use non-IC can all the time and I am surprised that some of you are surprised that they are still available. Of course they are available and widely used.
Do you guys only work in one story buildings?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
The cans involved are in an office with hard ceilings.Seems that 50 some of them without IC got installed without being noticed.Will get more details monday morning.I was surprised that
non i c were even available anymore.There are i c cans that are not air tight but why would anyone use a non ic can ?
Are they in contact with insulation?

Is the space above the hard ceiling an air handling space?

In other words do you need IC cans?

Jim I hardly ever touch IC cans most of our work is in commercial space with air handling ceilings.

The cans we use are neither IC or air tight.

[ July 10, 2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jimwalker

yes will have insulation.I just got a brief bit of info on this building.Not sure if it was part of specs .As far as i know non ic cans can be used in ceilings if the insulation is kept away from the cans.Wasn't my goof but will help to fix.I just can't understand why anyone would even want a non ic.The risk of a fire is too high.Someone could simply put the wrong lamp in and burn the building down.Whats the differance in price $1 ?

speedypetey

Originally posted by jimwalker:
I just can't understand why anyone would even want a non ic.The risk of a fire is too high.Someone could simply put the wrong lamp in and burn the building down.
What?!?!!

Because non-IC cans look better, have a greater selection of trims and are not required if there is no insulation.

Can you elaborate on how an IC can is safer?
I guess you assume only IC cans are thermally protected?
I also guess you think there is no way to install too large a lamp in an IC can?

I happen to think a can with nothing but air around it is safer.
I have personally seen blown in insulation get brown when laying on top of.....oh no.....an IC can.

jimwalker

Ok this is what happened.50 halo and liton cans got installed.The cans were white and had a thermal protector mounted on there side.Nobody had read the paper that came with them saying NON IC.Was assumed that since the thermal was on the can that it was IC,big mistake.Seems there was a design change and the ones that are IC have the unit mounted on the top of the can.Our tag gave us options,replace with ic or install a box around it to prevent insulation.Just when did it become our job to safe guard the can from an insulator ? Isn't it his job to not insulate a can ? All 50 got changed out today.I thought that non ic cans didn't have that thermal protector.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

I thought that non ic cans didn't have that thermal protector.
Ah.

I had wondered if that might have been your thought. The non-thermally protected recessed housings are real hard to come by, in my experience, when using units of reputable manufacture. But one can occasionally get them in the $2.00 wonder sales of loss leaders at the local hardware. . .there oughta be a law. . .

jimwalker

Lets just say this was a very exspinsive mistake.16 man hours and 50 cans.Hopefully nobody else will mistake these cans as ic.The WHITE can is the tip off.

Status
Not open for further replies.