per outlet pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemsvcs

Alot of guys in my area (Ohio) price new construction based on a set fee per outlet plus a set fee per service. When priced this way do they assume equipment is covered in that flat rate or does it just cover labor for rough/trim? I have heard most in this area quote these at varying rates, depending on outlet type, or some quote all at the same price. For example, some might quote everything at $45.00 per outlet and some might quote something like $20.00 per switch, $30.00 gen. recep., etc.

I still do everything the old fashioned way: time, equipment, permits, profit...and add a little for my uncle in D.C. :D

Any comments about the first method would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jemsvcs

laidman

Re: per outlet pricing

unit pricing when bidding is a good way to get in the ball park. I would not quote a job doing that with out a site visit to see what conditions were before I submitted a bid.

vilasman

Re: per outlet pricing

per unit pricing...
I do both ways, I figure time and materials
and then do per unit and see which price I feel i can get/ which is fair.
But with per unit, its a flat rate per plug and switch, another rate if I have to chisel it into brick or mortar or some other foolishness, another rate if it is a 240 plug, another rate to run the circuit in other words $45 for each plug/switch
then $125 for the home run. $80 if I have to chisel in

One rate for recessed lights, another for surface mount fixtures, another for ceiling fans... then a fee for the service,a fee for the permit

and then like now, I was talking to someone about a 8500 sq ft house with 3 kitchens and a whole of of other stuff. And I told her....in house that big you have to figure in for excessive amounts of wire for the home runs and if it has engineered beams instead of wood box trusses, then you have to figure on days spent just drilling holes in a house that big.

Not that I have a terrible heap of expierence, but I have learned you can really screw yourself by assuming stuff about an estimate. An also, and maybe the rest of the world isnt like DC, no I'm sure the rest of the world isnt like DC,
But, make it clear that you reserve the right to do change orders. So that you can make the call on whether something is a change order. Other wide people write you a check and they think that tehy own you and can change stuff at will and there's no extra charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.