al vs. copper conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

Anyone know of a good recent article that states the pros and cons of al vs. cu conductors for lv systems? It seems that alumimum alloy condcutors are making progress in keeping up with cu conductors performance. There is also the cost savigs with copper being at a premium.

In addition, anyone familar with Alcan's Stabiloy?

bphgravity

Re: al vs. copper conductors

This has been discussed often in this Forum. Run a search and you will get lots of opinions. The obvious advantages of AL are weight and cost. On the other hand, size and torque retention are downsides to AL.

We had a rep from the AL conductor industry at a recent IAEI meeting. He had a few examples of Alcan Stabiloy cables and conductors. The stuff bends great and holds its shape. Plus antioxidant compound is not required at terminations.

ed downey

I have been on projects that have installed thousands of feet of Alcan Stabiloy in both the MC Cable version and the single conductor in conduit version. I try to recommend it on every project that is looking for a value engineering alternative.

I recommend looking at the Alcan website to see their listing of the different projects that have used the Stabiloy product.
ALCAN

See The link at the bottom of the page for Major Stabiloy Projects.
-Ed

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

We have installed and terminated thousand of feet of Stabiloy also, but we avoid using mechanical terminations and splices for larger conductors. We always use irreversible compression connections. Usually Burndy Hypress crimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.