Extension ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilasman

I am plotting the purchase of my first big fiberglass extension ladder. I want to know what size is the best compromise or will i have to get 2 or 3.
Somtimes you need your extension ladder to get up into the rafters of a house or up into a cathedral ceiling to hang a light or something, I think you can do that with a 16' extenion and be able to get it into the house without banging up the walls to much.
On the other hand you have service heads to hang and 2nd floor A/C circuits to run and exterior flood lights to put up. Seems like i would need a 24' to service head height on a two story house.

But could i get away with a 20'?
What do you all think?

highkvoltage

Re: Extension ladders

I bought a Gorilla (20') ladder at Home Depot. I was facing the same problems has you and wanted something that was versatile. It is the best tool investment I every made. This ladder can do it all. Check it out. The only draw back it is aluminum. Two of my friends have also bought them and both are in love with them. They cost about $200 here and do the work of $1000 in fiberglass ladders.

you know at this point in my buisness i have about 8 different ladders. now, i am a g.c. and it seems we have the same needs, when i started i had the same questions. so i boke it down to what i needed the most, which was a 12' a-frame. tall enough to get me to the celling and on low roofs. if i needed a bigger one i just rented it and added it in to the cost of the job.

and my second ladder was a 24' extention, this also makes two 12' ladders. keep that in mind.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Hmmm. This brings up the point of should anyone be using an aluminum or other conductive ladder for electrical work. I say absolutely not.

-Hal

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

...a 24' extention, this also makes two 12' ladders

And there is another point. Is it safe or permitted to separate the two sections of an extension ladder and use then separately? Is the ladder being used according to its design and within OSHA guidelines? (Hint- one section doesn't have feet.)

-Hal

Originally posted by hbiss:
...a 24' extention, this also makes two 12' ladders

Is it safe or permitted to separate the two sections of an extension ladder and use then separately? Is the ladder being used according to its design and within OSHA guidelines? (Hint- one section doesn't have feet.)

-Hal
I actually had an extra set of ladder feet that I would bolt onto the base of the top half of an extension ladder I used to have. Would this then be safe in osha's eyes ?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by mjf:
I actually had an extra set of ladder feet that I would bolt onto the base of the top half of an extension ladder I used to have. Would this then be safe in osha's eyes ?
Not a chance unless you have some manufacturers paper work saying you can do that.

In regards to ladders OSHA rules are easy, use them as intended, do not make any modifications or additions that are not approved by the manufacturer.

Do not attempt to repair ladders.

Do not paint ladders.

Any extension ladder I get has a warning sticker that says "do not use separately" or something like that.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

The only draw back it is aluminum.
Highvoltage,

We're going to keep an eye out for you here on the forum. You currently have 48 posts.....when we stop seeing your posts we'll figure that you probably did a service upgrade and bugged onto the triplex on your aluminum extension ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.