working clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey-man

Does anybody know what is the working clearance of outdoor electrical equipments 35kV and above?

any reference in the code?

Thanks a lot!

jtester

Re: working clearance

It would appear that 110.34(A) would apply, even though it reads like the equipment is inside. Note that the exposed live parts are energized at the higher voltages. Also, 110.31 talks about clearances from fences to equipment.
I am curious what kind of equipment are you refering to? Most breakers, regulators, LTC,s, that I am used to don't have exposed high voltage parts unless they are elevated.
Jim T

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The voltage and KVA ratings are not relevant to the question of working clearance distances. The answer is 6 feet, or 8 feet, or 10 feet, depending on what is in front of the equipment. See the table that jtester and "The Other Charlie" have given you.

[ December 22, 2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I wish I could post a picture. I just visited a site with a 75KVA transformer mounted sideways on the pad due to a couple of bollards. If they had set the transformer going the right way on the pad, they wouldn't have been able to open the doors :) I'm supprised the POCO let it go.

P.S. If it is a utility transformer, they may have additional requirements. For example, it may have to be accessible to a service truck.

STeve

[ December 22, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

charlie

If it was an electric utility's transformer, it was probably a dead front transformer. They would need room to operate a shotgun type hotstick while standing in front of the transformer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.