Help understanding 2005 682.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Sorry to be a pest with this artical but this is Florida. Land of water and boats.

682.11 Location of Service Equipment. On land, the service equipment for floating structures and submersible electrical equipment, shall be located no closer than 1.5m (5 ft) horizontally from the shoreline and live parts elevated a minimum of 300 mm (12 in.) above the electrical datum plane. Service equipment shall disconect when the water level reaches the hight of the established electrical datum plane.

Floating structures and Submersible electrical equipment.
Does this exclude fixed docks??? and only apply to fountains, lake pumps and floating structures (docks) and such. There by eliminating the need for the auto disconect of service equipment?

I think it does but still requires fixed docks to comply with the Equipmotential plane and thus a disconect on land since you can't install a equi[potential plane on the deck of a dock. Also the requirement for all voltages/ loads under 60 amps, to be GFI protected and all steel to be bonded.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Cavie said:
Also the requirement for all voltages/ loads under 60 amps, to be GFI protected and all steel to be bonded.
682.33(B)

Where is the defination of "contolled equipment"?

This is where GFCI protection comes into play.

Since your OP about this I have asked AHJ's in Broward and Palm Beach counties about this and no one here has given this a second thought.

Does anyone know if there will be any changes to 682 in 08?

Cavie

yes, I agree. 682.33 (B) is required for docks. We are inforceing this code effective OCT. 1 permit applications. Let the games begin.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
M.D. thanks for that link again.

Cavie, come Oct. 1st when you start to enfore this, let us know how it goes.

I ponder why your jurisdiction seems to be the only one in the U.S. to pick this up.

Good luck Pal.

Cavie

chris kennedy said:
M.D. thanks for that link again.

Cavie, come Oct. 1st when you start to enfore this, let us know how it goes.

I ponder why your jurisdiction seems to be the only one in the U.S. to pick this up.

Good luck Pal.

We have all been wondering the same thing. Normally we are the last to do anythig. I guess I'll have to stop reading the code book. We are haveing a meeting with all 12 electric inspectors next week to decide how to proceed. I'll let you know the outcome. Does anybody inforce 215.2 (A) (1)

Cavie

chris kennedy said:
Don't try to change the subject.:smile: I don't see where your going with this?

215.2 Seems to be another one nobody knows about. Electricians wan to know what planet I came form when I inforce (A) (1). They run 2 #4's, 1 #6 ground and a #12 neutral to the pool panel saying the only neutral load being the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.