Smart Energy Water Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Had a call today about a Lowes install of a new water heater. HO says the circuit needs to be 30 amps.

I get there and the old water heater is there-- leaking not working, with a 10/2 nm cable. They wanted me to upgrade the circuit before they put the heater in-- so I disconnected the old one and added a disco (pullout) and left a tail for them to hook it up-- thinking that's what they wanted.

They hook it up and said it failed their inspectorion. I asked what was wrong. They said the circuit needed to be 30 amps and the breaker was 25 amps.

I argued with them for 10 minutes on the phone saying it is perfectly legal with a heater with a 4500 watt element. Finally they called me back and told me the heater was a 5500 watt heater. Had to change the breaker.

Never seen one--- better change those residential clculations for the water heaters.

Here is the product and it does look interesting.
http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/products/electric/index.php

It uses smart energy technology and remembers how the family uses water.

energysmart.jpg

mdshunk

I carry exacly one 225 breaker, but reserve its use for special occasions. Almost never for a water heater. You're stuck in 1975 gear, Dennis.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
Dennis, you always carry 25 amp breakers on your truck? :grin:

Actually, did you install that breaker or was it existing?

It was an existing install. Many years ago the inspectors were requiring 25 amp breakers on water heaters stated you could only go 125%. 19 amps x 125% is 24 amps so they wanted 25. It was no biggie so we all complied till they realized 30's were okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.