emergency generator location

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierph

The company that I work for is installing an emergency generator in the parking garage. they are installing louvers on the perimeter walls and a deck height fence and bollards around the generator. my question is: do we still have to provide a weatherproof enclosure or is the louvers good enough?
thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: emergency generator location

The real question is if adequate protection from the weather is supplied by the way you installed it? The answer may be yes or no.

I don't think there is a specific code section that deals with determining just what constitutes adequate protection.

It might also make a difference if this is a real emergency power system or just a backup power system. I am not all that sure the way you have installed it meets all the requirements for an emergency system.

charlie tuna

Re: emergency generator location

700.9(C)covers this type of installation.

"emergency wiring circuits shall be designed and "located" so as to minimize the hazards that might cause failure due to flooding,fire,icing,vandalism,and other adverse conditions."

i have seen where they move the generator to above flood condition areas, and forget to relocate the fuel system!

Status
Not open for further replies.