Wire gauge question

Status
Not open for further replies.

psala

I have a 100? orange outdoor 3-way heavy-duty extension cord. I am trying to determine the gauge of its wires, the only marking on the cord is 13400, and that is stamped into the orange jacket every foot or so. There are no other markings. I am only familiar with markings such as 14/3 or 16/3 etc, but not 13400.

If I had to guess, I would say it's 16/3 by the looks of it's diameter.

Does 13400 denote its gauge it some way?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I first thought that it might correspond, in units of circular mils, to a standard AWG size. It does not. #10 has an area of 10,380 circular mils, and #8 has an area of 16,510. No other guesses occur to me. Sorry.

HighWirey

"If that is the only writing, it is a "distractor". It is distracting one from realizing there is no UL writing".

Pierre is correct, obfuscation at its finest.

We had a local OEM wire vendor who would imprint anything the customer wanted on on any type wire, 1 foot or xxx feet. Colors, no problem! "500MCM Cu" imprinted on this 22awg, no problem. (And he was a USA guy, not even offshore).

Never used his 'service', but did tour his plant . . . Don't think the 'Graybar Hotel' fits my style.

Best Wishes

Cavie

psala said:
I have a 100? orange outdoor 3-way heavy-duty extension cord. I am trying to determine the gauge of its wires, the only marking on the cord is 13400, and that is stamped into the orange jacket every foot or so. There are no other markings. I am only familiar with markings such as 14/3 or 16/3 etc, but not 13400.

If I had to guess, I would say it's 16/3 by the looks of it's diameter.

Does 13400 denote its gauge it some way?

What makes you think it is "Heavy Duty". By 3-way do you mean 3 wire?

resistance

I was say use this cord for light duty work, and buy a heavier cord for projects that are light duty to heavy.:rolleyes:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
By 3-way do you mean 3 wire?

we call a 3-way cord one w/ a 3-way as the female end. i have a couple of orange cords that were labled as #10, and i bought a yellow one a few months ago that was labeled as #12. but i have seen orange cords that were no bigger around than 16-3 SO cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.