Code Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmd445

I think I'm loosing my mind, but, I believe I need 34 hours of continuing education for my New Jersey license renewal. This will include 10 hours of code update and how do I account for the rest?

Jim

dillon3c

Re: Code Update

jmd445,Can't speak for Jersey,But it's required in N.Carolina.87-44.1:..shall complete,during the 12 months immediately preceding license renewal,10 hours...

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Minnesota is 16 hours every two year Masters License renewal cycle. I just got my copy of the IAEI 2005 Analysis of Code Changes for the class I'll be sitting in weekend after next.

34 hours! Wow. That seems like a lot.

dillon3c

i got my copy to Al,same book.But it spends more time in the bathroom, than on my desk.Heard what I considered to be strong information,from a solid source,N.carolina might not readily adopt new code,outright.So it's become bathroom material till I know for sure..

ken987

The rest has to be board approved courses. It's 9 hours code update, and one hour law. There's a few ways to get the rest but the board would have to approved it. This is from the NJ electrical board book I have

A licensee may obtain continuing education credits from the following

1. successful completion of continiuing education courses approved by the board
2. participation in instructional activities
3. authorship of a text book or manual, or chapter of text book or manual related to electrical work
4. authorship of a published article related to electrical work

peter d

Continuing education is required in most of the fine New England states. Learning the code shouldn't stop after one's apprenticeship is over.

But sadly, for most electricians it does, so now the powers that be have decided that code refresher courses are needed every cycle, and I for one think it's a great idea. :D

charlie

Peter, I couldn't agree more. Since we have no state licensing, there are no requirements for continuing education credits. A lot of the electricians don't get any updates until and inspector red tags them for something. With self certification in Indianapolis, there are some electricians that have not had an inspection for years. :roll:

peter d

Charlie,

I suppose I am a cruel judge of character in this regard, but if I hear an electrician say "I haven't picked up a code book in years," I am going to be very skeptical about the quality of work they do. I won't trust anything they tell me either.

Sad to say, but I have heard that phrase many times. :mad:

charlie

Peter, it sound to me like we agree on a lot of things. For what it is worth though, it is seldom that I ever pick up a Code book and when I do, it looks foreign to me. Normally, I use the one I have loaded on my computer. :D

peter d

Charlie,

Originally posted by charlie:
Peter, it sound to me like we agree on a lot of things. For what it is worth though, it is seldom that I ever pick up a Code book and when I do, it looks foreign to me. Normally, I use the one I have loaded on my computer. :D
:D LOL :D

Yup, I'd say we agree completely. :D

I consider myself fortunate to live in a region (New England) with mandated apprenticeship, state wide licensing, inspections, and continuing education. The strictness is a self actualizing way of keeping people out of the trade who don't belong.

Now don't get me wrong. There are certainly flaws and abuses of the system around here. Things get pretty loose in the rural areas. There is still the good ole boy network and the inspectors that don't look over jobs because they "know the electrician." :roll:

I always get like this :roll: )

But it's not all that bad. In fact, I can't see working in a state without strict licensing. I think it would drive me nuts. :eek:

[ January 01, 2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

Status
Not open for further replies.