texas master exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgood

i plan on taking the master exam soon and would like to know some good study guides to use. is the computer or book exam format better?

farmer

Re: texas master exam

The key to the exam is to be able to find what you need without going to the index too often. Not to sound like a commercial for Mike Holt but he has one of the best study guides around. Answer as many of the questions using the NEC and at test time you should be able to turn to the correct section of the code without using the index or answer by memory alone.

Jhr

Re: texas master exam

Cgood, as a licensed Master electrician in the state of Texas, my advice to you is to take a Masters prep course, like in a Jr. College these are given by electrical inspectors most of the time and they offer at times a work book to go along with the class talk . These courses will get you thinking as there is always time for question and answer time. Study the notes, and the NEC for about three months straight, worked for me passed the test the first time I took it, I wish you the very best friend :cool: :cool: .

wagge

You might visit IEC as they offer many courses for such test. I taught there for a number of years, teaching reviews for SBCCI, and City Of Houston master,journeyman,apprentice along with the continuing ed for Lic renewals. I am not sure about the Texas State test format but would think it is similar to SBCCI format. I like Mike's design and presentation, but Tom Henry was a close match to the SBCCI. I took San Antonio but it was geared to SBCCI with a slight modification. The Houston exam was like no other and there was no way but through IEC or IBEW along with a couple of local authors that it was passible. I sat with fifty others, some PE and EE's and only 4 of us passed.
I also used some of stallcups study guides but his presentation gives me a headache. To much info in too samll of a space. The NEC handbook is a good tool as well.
Browns Book store carrys a ton of books
http://www.brownbookshop.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1517
You might invest in a good test making software and load you own questions, when I took Houston I had a database of 2000 know questions. I practiced this everyday for months until I could memorize at leat 90% of the questions. I would say there were at least 30-40% i knew right off the batt. This helps you spend more time on the question you do not know and have to think about. The biggest key to passing test is study only the question they will ask. This will work except in some cases such as Houston where the question were made up the day before the exam, at least on the open book portion.

Good luck
Bill Giffen

finhead

Suggestions for taking a code test.

1. Work as many practice tests as you can get your hands on. Mike Holt and the IAEI have many tests available. My students will see over 1,000 questions in a twelve week class, and we have an excellent success rate.

2. The table of contents is a powerful tool; better than tabs in my opinion. Learn how to use it.

3. Remove excess pages from the code book. When I open my code book I am looking at the table of contents. This is because I glued the first page of the table of contents to the inside of the front cover.

4. Tom Henry's "Calculations for the Electrical Exam" is a good book for learning calculations and use of many tables. It also includes many practice questions.

Good Luck

drivetr.

Joe has a good idea

Joe has a good idea

I agree with Joe; many junior colleges offer a two day (usually a weekend) study class or even better than that- take the 16 week, two nights a week class.

drivetr.

Exam

Exam

Two colleges close to the Houston, Texas area that have NEC classes are Lee College in Baytown and San Jacinto College in Deer Park.

Lee College: Master Electrician Exam Review 32 hours
Sat./Sun. March 24 - April 1
$150.00

Status
Not open for further replies.