Warning for screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
So I am a little worried I guess you could say. I dont know about you guys but whenever I am installing something that needs to be screwed in usually I hold a scew in my mouth while putting one in. Saves time instead of having to search for another scew and what not. Well today went to the lumber yard to get some more 3" galvy scews and when I opened the box there was a folded up paper. I read the paper and it said "Warning wash hands after handling, This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, and birth deects or other reproductive harm." I almost freaked out! What can they be putting into scews to cause these things? And how long have they been putting things in scews and why!?!?!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LOL. I always wondered if my loss of memory is from lead that may be in the staples, etc that I hold in my mouth. I even had my screwdriver in there a few times.

celtic

dSilanskas said:
What can they be putting into scews to cause these things? And how long have they been putting things in scews and why!?!?!

A wild guess....I'd say since they started plating the screws :cool:

Think about it....what is making the nails "galvy"...even "ordinary" screws have some rements of oil from the production process....put them in your mouth?
I'll stick with fast food to kill myself slowly - tastes slightly better :grin:

cadpoint

Its the dreaded hangover of 110.3(A)(8)

While on the job, I will observe the others trades (from time to time)and from time to time will comment to someone about the safety of doing that.

: ?

I beleieve it was Curtis Strange's Father that died from chemicals he contracted from golf tees....

Given that probably half the buildings in California have a Prop65 warning sign, I'm not that worried. I mean, Walgreen's? Yes, they sell cleaning products, hair spray, etc. Pretty soon, it'll say either "certified organic" or "May cause cancer". Of course, by definition, benzine is organic :D.

DUCKMAN

dSilanskas said:
So I am a little worried I guess you could say. I dont know about you guys but whenever I am installing something that needs to be screwed in usually I hold a scew in my mouth while putting one in. Saves time instead of having to search for another scew and what not. Well today went to the lumber yard to get some more 3" galvy scews and when I opened the box there was a folded up paper. I read the paper and it said "Warning wash hands after handling, This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, and birth deects or other reproductive harm." I almost freaked out! What can they be putting into scews to cause these things? And how long have they been putting things in scews and why!?!?!

Galvanized steel is coated with zinc. Zinc, lead and other metals are hazardous when injested. Washing your hands ensures that you do not transfer the metal to your food, and then consume it.

nakulak

well at least you found out. To break yourself of this habit, I suggest that you take some of your children's toys (small ones that will fit in your mouth, and only the ones made in China) to work with you and stick them in your mouth so you don't forget not to put screws there.

kjw444

I saw that exact warning on a roll of tape not to long ago and had to wonder how many times I had ripped the tape with my teeth or ate my lunch after handling a little harmless bit of tape.

j-box

Same goes for MC I always remind green helpers and others to wash their hands with hot water and soap or use a Klien wipei before handaling thier business in the boys room, or girls room if that be the case, and for Petes sake when u undo a splice, how many times have u put the wirenut in your mouth, who knows where those hands that installed the wire nut were prior to installing the wirenut, in the porta-john!

Status
Not open for further replies.