grounding electrode conductor splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

250-50 ('99) speaks of listed irreversible compression-type connectors. Are there any?
In my case, for #4 solid cu.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: grounding electrode conductor splice

I checked once for a 4 awg solid compression splice and could not find any. your other allowed option is cadweld or =. Cadweld makes a one shot mold, about $10,includes disposable mold and shot, but I don't know if its available in a 4 awg splice.

ryan_618

As an AHJ, I have accepted the use of a set screw butt connector with the part on the set-screw ground off so that a screw driver could not be re-inserted. I do believe in using listed parts, but I also believe that sometimes the end justifies the means. I don't like seeing someone have to resort to a cadweld for a residential service change.

dereckbc

Staff member

Tom, in my line of buisness, telecom, we use Burndy Hy-Ground system products. They make "H" taps, "C" taps, rod clamps, etc for everything from # 14 upto 750 MCM, listed for use, and irreversible. We started using this system a few years ago to make life a little easier for electricians to get away from exothermic welds.

The down side is it does take special tools with dies to use the product. However in the telecom buisness, contractors are required to have the tools to work, they just have to buy the dies for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.