480 ,4 wire yellow, brown, orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

joof

How do I know which lead is the brown, yellow,orange?
Do I put a meter on the hot to neutral?
Then the highest voltage is orange? How do I discern the brown and yellow then?

iwire

Staff member
Re: 480 ,4 wire yellow, brown, orange

Originally posted by joof:
How do I know which lead is the brown, yellow,orange?
Do I put a meter on the hot to neutral?
Then the highest voltage is orange? How do I discern the brown and yellow then?
It is what ever you make it.

The power company does not provide you with any 'colors' just 3 phases.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

You should get about the same voltage from each lead to ground (about 277 volts). There may be slight differences, but that will tell you nothing about which color is which phase.

crossman

Is there anything that will tell you which wire is which phase? I don't think so. It is totally arbitrary, isn't it?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

It may not be completely arbitary for a factory with more than one service. They may like to keep the phase rotation marked the same in case a panel feeder is moved from one location to another. The first wire is still marked arbitrary, but then one chooses the next wire to produce the correct rotation. But there isn't any way to tell phase rotation with a simple voltmeter.

reynoldsk

You can determine "A" phase, if that is the POCO's nomenclature and not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, using a phase angle meter or an oscilliscope. However, you would still need to have a Known Point to establish a reference. The only time that I can think of when you must ensure that two sources are in phase is when you want to parallel them. If you are not paralleling than it is usually sufficient to just know the rotation.

When are some other times when it is important to ensure that two sources/conductors are in phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.