switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

have a switcgaer setup that uses square d rack breakers. Relativley new setup and I hopo this isnt a dumb queastion. Is there any restriction to emerging from the top of the gear to feed another load? I am thinking of coming out the top with 2 3.5 inch emts and using bonding bushings on the tin work as the tinwork pannelling is all bolted together. This would not come out of an access panel but rather just the top panels of the gear.

kentirwin

Re: switchgear

Coming out of the top of the gear with conduit is standard procedure if you're not running everything in the slab. I've got 8 Square D QED switchboards where I work and everything but the service entrance is overhead. :)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Just yesterday I was wondering if I can come out the side or back of a Square D I line panel. I've always seen everything come out the bottom or top, and Square D doesn't show any diagrams on where you can cut conduit openings.

Steve

charlie tuna

please consider accessing the switchgear for maintainance purposes. we have had problems with installers using the rear and side panels for raceways to the point that we could not properly clean the gear as required.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Unless specific entrance locations have been provided (see instructions), manufacturers don't care. It is up to the installer to maintain correct spacing, bending radii, and enclosure integrity. Knockouts, typically, are optional and located for convenience, not as restrictions or requirements.

stew

Thanks for the input. I thought it was ok as well. Now another question . This gear is about 8 ft tall and 10 ft long. The load taps on the breaker that is to be used is on one end and the area i am gonna run to is on the other end of the gear agaainst the wall. Any good reccomendations to bring the conductors up to the top of the gear without emerging and runnin them horizontally to the other end before emerging from the gear>? total of 6 500 mcms. Is there a strap type of support made to do this within the gear or heavy zip ties possibly. Any suggestions. It would of cocurse eleiminate the long run of pipe on the top of the gear.

iwire

Staff member

Stew you need to run the pipe across the switchgear.

408.3(A)(3) Same Vertical Section. Other than the required interconnections and control wiring, only those conductors that are intended for termination in a vertical section of a switchboard shall be located in that section.

Exception: Conductors shall be permitted to travel horizontally through vertical sections of switchboards where such conductors are isolated from busbars by a barrier.

kiloamp7

Yes, the right way, especially for new work, is like iwire says. Route the raceway externally & do not pass the conductors through the switchboard to the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.