Voltage loss calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrott4

I see that the forum members here seem to take pleasure in complicated voltage calculations. I'm preparing an article on voltage losses associated with all the common wiring methods used in landscape lighting. If anyone here wants to take on the following wholly or in part, please do. Or, if you know of a source, please pass that on.

I'm interested in calculating the voltage at light fixtures in a 12V AC lighting system for four different wiring methods.

I'm clear about the CAST Spider splice method and associated voltage loss calculations. This method uses a homerun wire connected to a splice hub. From this hub, a number of fixtures are connected with equal length lead wires.

There are four other common wiring methods that I'd like to get the voltage loss calculations clear on:

1. Daisy chain method (all fixtures connected in a chain - a single wire is run passing near all fixture locations, each fixture is then spliced onto this wire, wire ends at last fixture).

2. Daisy chain method with loop (same as above, except a wire is run connecting the splice point for the first fixture and the splice point of the last fixture).

3. Loop method (same as the above method except that the additional wire connects the last fixture to transformer common and voltage tap).

4. T-method (same as the daisy chain except the homerun wire connects with the daisy chained fixtures at the center fixture instead of at the end).

I'm looking for the voltage at each fixture.

The following terms can be used:

V=voltage; VT=voltage at the transfomer tap; VFx=voltage at fixture number "x"; L=wire length; WFx=lamp wattage at fixture "x"; Wtot=total lamp wattage of system; R=wire resistance value

Have fun and thanks!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Voltage loss calculations

You want to write an article, but you want us to do the calculations :)

sparrott4

The article is not a promotional piece. It's meant to help the thousands of lighting installers who would benefit from the knowledge.

These are common installation scenarios encountered by electricians and landscapers, but there are no references that present this voltage loss information in a clear and understandable way.

If no one wants to bite into this, then I'll go elsewhere to look for it. If someone here wants to get paid to do this work, then I suppose that's a reasonable option, too.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The purpose of this Forum is to allow members of the profession to help each other. It is not within our intended mission for some members to get other members to do their work for them. If you need assistance in figuring out how to do the problems you propose, then we might be willing to help. If you want someone to just do it and give you the answers, then I suggest that you do look elsewhere. Finally, if you are willing to pay someone for the services of developing the calculations, then you must absolutely look elsewhere, as this Forum is not to be used to solicit or offer business opportunities.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

There was a recent article in Home Power magazine on 12 v wiring, and the cost savings for using larger wire. It may be what you want.

sparrott4

Thanks Charlie for the clarification of the forum's guidelines. I apologize for stepping outside of them.

I would like help in figuring out how to do these calculations. I'm not just lazy and I'm not looking for free work. I'm in this forum because I am a professional in the Industry and appreciate the generous contributions of other forum participants.

Forums like this are one of the only venues to get expert information that's not readily available elsewhere and to share it.

I think my question in this post was a little too complicated and difficult to answer in such a forum. I thought I would give it a shot because I know there are some guys who love just such a challenge. I guess I was wrong - it looked like I was fishing for someone to do my job for free. Ooops!

physis

I'm not taking your post in any particular light, but it seems that what you're looking for would best be found by empiracle testing. The experiences of individuals are not that "conclusive data" friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.