Dead Leg Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the 'technical' name of a dead leg service? Although it has been pretty much phased out in my area,we have a three-phase service that has a dead (0 volts to ground) 'B' phase,I have asked many electricians over the years and of the few that heard of it,no one knew the name of it.It was used mostly for air conditioning,many of the houses in the old days had two services,a single-phase for the lighting and receptacles and a three phase 'dead leg' service that only powered the air conditioning.They were also used for other things,the last one I saw was when I was an apprentice over 20 years ago,it was a commercial service for a lamp factory in Memphis.I was told then that Light,Gas and Water was trying to phase them out but a young fellow where I work recently did a service call on one,he called it a 'center tapped Delta'.When I heard him,I told him that wasn't what it was,but I didn't have a clue as to what it is really called.Is this service still in use in other places? Thanks for any reply.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Dead Leg Service

This would be a Corner Grounded Delta. Typically the B phase is grounded therefor puting it at zero volts referenced to ground.

For some excellent information on this go to the link below. Thanks Scott Thompson.

http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000078.html

Roger

[ November 11, 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Thank you,that is a great post by Scott Thompson,very thorough and well presented.Thanks to both of you.Great reading.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You are welcome.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.