GFCI's in a Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLCPete

I have a question about GFCI's in a basement. Article 210.8(A)(5) defines unfinished basements as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like.

The question I have is if the basement room is a wood shop which is a finished room in the basement, does it classify as an unfinished basement area because it is a work area ?

There is a row of receptacles for power tools and the customer would not like to have them on a GFCI circuit if he doesn't have to. Would his power tool outlets be up to code if he did not GFCI protect them?

Thanks in advance for your time.

B

bthielen

Re: GFCI's in a Basement

I have always gone with the assumption that the intent of this code was to protect persons from ground faults while standing on the cement or dirt floor of a basement, which can be very prone to moisture due to sweating or leetching from the ground.

There are others much more educated here than I but I would think that if this is a woodworking shop, it has an unfinished cement floor and I would question why the owner would not want the added protection provided by the GFCI circuitry, code compliant or not. It surely can't be cost because if he is already paying the price to hire a contractor to install this system, the extra few dollars it costs for one $8-$10 receptacle per circuit is small potatoes. If he is doing it himself, then he has already saved more than enough cost by not paying a contractor to offset the added cost.

Bob

PLCPete

Thanks for responding.

It is a cement floor. The reason he does not want the GFCI's was that he thinks the power tools (I am assuming due to current draw) will nuisance trip the GFCI's.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

It is a cement floor. The reason he does not want the GFCI's was that he thinks the power tools (I am assuming due to current draw) will nuisance trip the GFCI's.
Construction site power tools are GFCI protected and there is not a problem with nuisance trips.
Don

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The phrase "nuisance trip" is a common conversational term that has no real meaning. Sure, if the circuit trips while you are using a power tool, that will be a nuisance. However, if it did not trip, and if a deteriorating power tool were therefore able to give the user a cruel shock, well that would be more of a nuisance.

If a power trips a GFCI device, the wrong reaction is to curse your ill luck and to regret the delay. The right reaction is to be thankful the GFCI was there to protect you, and to go out and repair or replace the power tool.

pierre

210.8(A)(5) Unfinished basements.
... as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like.

I would call this an area that requires GFCI protection.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I agree with the above members.

But:
Originally posted by steve66: I wouldn't call a basement with a concrete floor "finished".
I've seen some pretty concrete floors. With the advent of cast earth, textured concrete, and the popularity (at least, in my area) of concrete-encased water tubing for heat, I'd bet that more and more houses are going to opt for it.

So, concrete is becoming more of a finished floor surface every day, IMO. :)

B

bthielen

I agree with Charlie b. A GFCI or circuit breaker that trips while in use is not a nuisance. It is a life saver and the person using the tool should be thankful for the protection.

Bob

ramdiesel3500

I find this a tough thing to get the general public to understand. Folks will have a GFCI trip and since they don't "feel" a shock, they assume the device is tripping for no good reason. WRONG!!! That device it tripping because a ground fault exists. As stated above, I am very thankful when a GFCI device trips because it gives me the opportunity to go find the fault and correct it prior to being injured or killed! It also teaches me what to watch out for in order to avoid future faults.
GFCI -- one of the greatest inventions ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.