Average VS. Good employee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to hear others opinions of what they consider the difference between an 'average employee' and a 'good employee'. Of course this has to do with the electrical field. ;)

Had a friend that went to a job interview, and instead of it being more of a technical/electrical experience questions, they are were more 'vague' and opinionated and this was one of them. So whats your take??

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Average and good employee's to me are one and the same. They show up everyday, put in time and collect a check.

An outstanding employee is one that brings in business, brings jobs home on time and doesn't bother me or need baby sitting.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
brother said:
Of course this has to do with the electrical field. ;)
Sincerely, thanks for that. :D

Had a friend that went to a job interview, and instead of it being more of a technical/electrical experience questions, they are were more 'vague' and opinionated and this was one of them. So whats your take??
That was a technique I learned managing at Wendy's actually. The way it was explained to me, you ask what the attributes of a good employee are. Their answers will either outlay their laziness, or give you some verbal leverage later down the road when they start slacking off.

"I remember you once said ____________ and _____________ were attributes of a good employee, but you are doing ________________ ."

Sounded clever, but IMO it didn't really mean much when selecting help. Liars are good liars because they sound believeable, and lazy people don't care enough, have enough pride, to care when you browbeat them. Easier just to fire them, IMO.

stickboy1375

George Stolz said:
Sincerely, thanks for that. :D

That was a technique I learned managing at Wendy's actually. The way it was explained to me, you ask what the attributes of a good employee are. Their answers will either outlay their laziness, or give you some verbal leverage later down the road when they start slacking off.

"I remember you once said ____________ and _____________ were attributes of a good employee, but you are doing ________________ ."

Sounded clever, but IMO it didn't really mean much when selecting help. Liars are good liars because they sound believeable, and lazy people don't care enough, have enough pride, to care when you browbeat them. Easier just to fire them, IMO.

Wendy's actually wasted money paying someone to try and figure this out? Kids are a dime a dozen, fire and hire baby! ;) :grin:

JohnE

To me a good employee simply gives me his best effort every day.

And I do the same in return.

A good electrician is another definition althogether, and often a good electricain is not a good employee. JMO.

rustyryan34

chris kennedy said:
Average and good employee's to me are one and the same. They show up everyday, put in time and collect a check.

An outstanding employee is one that brings in business, brings jobs home on time and doesn't bother me or need baby sitting.

If you have an employee that is bring in work for you that is a good employee!

SiddMartin

IMO, a good employee is always looking at the "big picture". You know, a company man. One that is always supporting the company he works for and if he has a problem with something, informs someone of it so it can get taken care of, instead of spreading the hate like cancer among other employees (this seems to happen a lot). A good employee is always looking to improve himself whether its electrical knowledge or social skills or something else.

An average employee, does what is requested and no more. Doesn't cause a lot of disrupption and you know exactly what to expect of him.

edit: spelling

rustyryan34

I once went on an interview at A&F clothing store, the only questions they askd me was what music i liked and what new movies i had seen. I got the job but it was such a joke i turned it down. They came up to me and ask me to put in an application in the first place and they didnt even look at it, then ask interview questions like that, i dont know how they have any good employees.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'll answer the question in the way I assume it was meant.

As some one else already mentioned, an average employee is the one that just shows up and collects a check, you may not have to baby sit them, but they are not going to go out of their way to do anything either.

A good employee is right there with you in your thinking or even a step ahead. You ask for a tool and he is already handing it to you, he has all the parts he needs off the truck before he starts. When I'm inspecting sometimes I'm walking with a group and I'll point something out, I can always tell the good employee because he is already headed to the truck or up the ladder before the boss has to say anything. The good employee doesn't always have to be the hardest worker or the smartest guy either. I've seen guys working 100 mph and just doing it wrong faster.:smile:

growler

brother said:

From his/her resume they probably already had and idea of the person's education and experience ( that's why they were called in for the interview) and now they were looking for more insight into character & personality

Many companies are either looking for team players or people that can be groomed for leadership positions or even sales ability.

Just having technical knowledge will not always satisfy all the criteria needed to fill a certian position.

brian john

Some of my smartest / most versatile employees are the biggest PIA's.

Come to work on time
Don't whine
Tell me the truth
Don't drink and drive
Do you job and paper work.

A good employee tries to figure out the problem and knows when to call for help.

An average employees looks at it and says send help.

A company I use to work for told me go to the job, do the paper work, if there is time left in the day complete the assigned task.

Status
Not open for further replies.