125-volt cord caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkbuck

A colleague answers Code questions that range from A to Z. Sometimes he consults with me on some of the unusual questions he is asked. At times they are serious questions, involving complex situations where the Code is not completely clear, other times they are things that are just plain odd. This was todays brain teaser. Why are many of the 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt cord caps manufactured with a hole in the circuit conductor prongs? I told him I didn't know but was sure I could find the answer here. Hope you guys can help.

MKB

kentirwin

Re: 125-volt cord caps

There was recently a thread here that discussed that. It was surmised that it was part of the manufacturing process that facilitated parts being mechanically engaged as part of the process.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: 125-volt cord caps

I missed that thread. But looking at some P&S plugs in a catalog, I don't see the holes on twist lock.

I'm going to go aginst the previous consenus and guess that many receptacles have a bump on the contacts that snaps into the hole. That would help hold the plug in the receptacle, and maybe give a better contact.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.