NM-B and allowable ampacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinetto

1. What does the B stand for? I was told it was for 90 degree conductors and if so do I still have to use the 60 degree column?
2.Never thought of this before but can you #8 NM (60 degree) to a jbox and splice on #10 THHN and be compliant?

stickboy1375

splinetto said:
1. What does the B stand for? I was told it was for 90 degree conductors and if so do I still have to use the 60 degree column?
2.Never thought of this before but can you #8 NM (60 degree) to a jbox and splice on #10 THHN and be compliant?

The 1984 NEC required the temperature rating of Type NM Cable to be increased from 60?C to 90?C, to take into account the increased use of thermal insulation in dwellings. The 90?C cable is identified as Type NM-B. NM cable manufactured prior to the 1984 NEC is rated at 60?C and is identified as Type NM.

PDF file on the subject... http://www.nema.org/stds/eng-bulletins/upload/Bull92.pdf

raider1

Staff member
What does the B stand for? I was told it was for 90 degree conductors and if so do I still have to use the 60 degree column?

Yes the suffix B identifys that the conductors within the cable are rated at 90 degrees C

Take a look at 334.80 this section requires that the ampacity of NM cable be taken from the 60 degree column.

Never thought of this before but can you #8 NM (60 degree) to a jbox and splice on #10 THHN and be compliant?

Since the terminals that you connect the #10 THHN to are more than likely not rated at 90 degrees you would not be able to use the 90 degree rating of the #10 THHN for the conductor ampacity.

Chris

splinetto

raider1 said:
Since the terminals that you connect the #10 THHN to are more than likely not rated at 90 degrees you would not be able to use the 90 degree rating of the #10 THHN for the conductor ampacity.

Chris
But it would be ok if the terminals were rated at 90 degree?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
splinetto said:

Sure you could but look at the asterik in T310.16. See 240.4(D). Other than for a few exception you would have to fuse at 30 amp.

You would use 90C for derating.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
Yeah but somewhere you will be connected to a 75C terminal.

I think what he was suggesting was using smaller conductors in the middle of a run. Lets say 6 AWG at breaker, change to 8 AWG for the run and then back to 6 AWG at the equipment.

That would be legal, the biggest problem is once the run gets long enough to make doing this worth while the run is also long enough that voltage drop will become a problem.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
iwire said:
I think what he was suggesting was using smaller conductors in the middle of a run. Lets say 6 AWG at breaker, change to 8 AWG for the run and then back to 6 AWG at the equipment.

That would be legal, the biggest problem is once the run gets long enough to make doing this worth while the run is also long enough that voltage drop will become a problem.

I gotcha

The op says #10- so I don't believe you can do that since 240.4(D0 plays a hand here. In your scenario I agree.

jwelectric

Well lets say that using the 90 degree column to derate and the math came to 12 amps. Could a 15 amp overcurrent device then be used on a #14 conductor using 240.4(B)?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
jwelectric said:
Well lets say that using the 90 degree column to derate and the math came to 12 amps. Could a 15 amp overcurrent device then be used on a #14 conductor using 240.4(B)?

A very good question. I would say it depends on the loads being served. If it were serving receptacle loads I would say no however if it were serving a fixed piece of equip. as a dw. I would say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.