UF & wells

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can UF-B cable be used as a submersible well pump cable ?
UL states SWPC is comprised of UF cables, but says it is tagged as SWPC.
Does this mean since UF does not carry that mark, that it can not be used as such ?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
augie47 said:
Can UF-B cable be used as a submersible well pump cable ?
UL states SWPC is comprised of UF cables, but says it is tagged as SWPC.
Does this mean since UF does not carry that mark, that it can not be used as such ?

i would say so.

LJSMITH1

Submersible pump cable is specifically designed for long term submersion in potable water. If this is a well pump used for that purpose, I would not use UF. If it is a sump pump application, it might be OK, but I would still be concerned about the long term exposure to water submersion.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask for an opinion.

LJSMITH1

As another thought, I think the insulation is thicker on submersible cable than it is on UF-B. That combined with the compound make it special for well pumps.

C3PO

This is from the UL White Book:

UNDERGROUND FEEDER AND BRANCH CIRCUIT CABLE (YDUX)
Underground Feeder and Branch Circuit CableYDUXGENERAL
This category covers underground feeder and branch circuit cable, rated 600 V, in sizes 14 to 4/0 AWG inclusive, copper, and 12 to 4/0 AWG inclusive, aluminum or copper-clad aluminum, for single and multiple conductor cables. It is designated as Type UF cable and is intended for use in accordance with Article 340 of ANSI/NFPA 70, "National Electrical Code" (NEC).
Some multi-conductor cable is surface marked with the suffix "B" immediately following the type letters to indicate the usage of conductors employing 90?C rated insulation.
Such cable may also be installed as Nonmetallic-sheathed Cable, per Section 340.10(4) of the NEC. The ampacities of Type UF cable, with or without the suffix "B," are those of 60?C rated conductors as specified in the latest edition of the NEC.
Submersible Water Pump Cable ? Indicates multi-conductor cable in which 2, 3 or 4 single-conductor Type UF cables are provided in a flat or twisted assembly. The cable is Listed in sizes from 14 AWG to 4/0 AWG inclusive, copper, and from 12 AWG to 4/0 AWG inclusive, aluminum or copper-clad aluminum. The cable is tag marked "For use within the well casing for wiring deep well water pumps where the cable is not subject to repetitive handling caused by frequent servicing of the pump units." The insulation may also be surface marked "Pump Cable." The cable may be directly buried in the earth in conjunction with this use.
This cable may employ copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum conductors. Cable with copper-clad aluminum conductors is surface printed "AL (CU-CLAD)" or "Cu-Clad Al." Cable with aluminum conductors is surface printed "AL."
Cable employing compact-stranded copper conductors is so identified directly following the conductor size wherever it appears (surface, tag, carton or reel) by "compact copper." The abbreviations "CMPCT" and "CU" may be used for compact and copper, respectively.
Tags, reels and cartons for products employing compact-stranded copper conductors have the marking: "Terminate with connectors identified for use with compact-stranded copper conductors." For conductor termination information, see Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations (AALZ ).
This cable may be terminated at boxes and other enclosures by using nonmetallic-sheathed cable connectors [see Nonmetallic-sheathed Cable Connectors (PXJV )].
Cable suitable for exposure to direct rays of the sun is indicated by tag marking and marking on the surface of the cable with the designation "Sunlight Resistant."

C3PO

IMHO for UF to be permitted it would have to be marked "For use within the well casing for wiring deep well water pumps where the cable is not subject to repetitive handling caused by frequent servicing of the pump units." or "Pump Cable." per the white book. :confused:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I am leaning that way, but when it states: "Submersible Water Pump Cable ? Indicates multi-conductor cable in which 2, 3 or 4 single-conductor Type UF cables are provided in a flat or twisted assembly", it seems strange that, if it is composed of UF cables, the cables themselvs wouldn't be o.k.
I have sent an inquiry to Southwire.

C3PO

augie47 said:
I am leaning that way, but when it states: "Submersible Water Pump Cable ? Indicates multi-conductor cable in which 2, 3 or 4 single-conductor Type UF cables are provided in a flat or twisted assembly", it seems strange that, if it is composed of UF cables, the cables themselvs wouldn't be o.k.
I have sent an inquiry to Southwire.

Yes, that does throw a kink in it. I was trying to ignore that part. :)

LJSMITH1

I think just like there are different types of AC cable (HCF & BX), UF is another one of those wonderful generic type codes that cover the basic type of construction. In this case, there may be different sub-types of UF cable for more specific types of applications (i.e. submersible well pumps).

Let us know what Southwire says.

wbalsam1

Submersible Water Pump Cable ? Indicates multi-conductor cable in which 2, 3 or 4 single-conductor Type UF cables are provided in a flat or twisted assembly.

In my limited experience, the key to this is the word "single". There are UL listed terminations for a single UF conductor used in a well, or in a trench. The "cables" do not have an overall jacket around the sum of the conductors, they are made up of individual conductors usually in a twisted configuration. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
wbalsam1 said:
Submersible Water Pump Cable ? Indicates multi-conductor cable in which 2, 3 or 4 single-conductor Type UF cables are provided in a flat or twisted assembly.

In my limited experience, the key to this is the word "single". There are UL listed terminations for a single UF conductor used in a well, or in a trench. The "cables" do not have an overall jacket around the sum of the conductors, they are made up of individual conductors usually in a twisted configuration. :)

You might have indicated a key in the termination. I've installed very few well pumps and am unsure of the termination process.

steelersman

stickboy1375 said:
I say no, once you strip it, it really isnt UF any more is it? That would make it pretty hard to connect to the well pump leads...
This seems very true. I haven't seen any float switches with factory uf-b. That would also not allow the float to move very freely with the solid copper wire and all.

JohnJ0906

augie47 said:
Looked those up prior to posting and it didn't give me a definitive answer.
Does it for you ?

No, not really. I post them for everyone else.
However, that pump cable didn't look as if it was rated for direct burial.

FWIW, I usually see UF run out to the well, and pump cable dropped down the well to the motor, with the 2 spliced at the well head.

Ebow

One major difference is the ground wire. in UF the ground wire would not be protected into the outer sleeve in an underwater splice. But the seperate ground of well cable would. For years I spliced submersable pump cables for motors in the 2hp to 20hp range. Most of the splice kits if properly installed would out last the motor.
Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.