Document. Document! DOCUMENT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

We are dealing with a floor heater cable issue right now. We installed the cable on a bathroom sub-floor in September (new home) so the tile guy could do his pour. I tested the system before we left and went my way. He called me the other day worried over a few spots where the cable had floated to the surface and asked that we do a check before he lays his tiles. Now the built-in GFCI on the thermostat trips immediately. After talking to factory and dealer reps the conclusion is there is a damaged cable. My mistake is not properly documenting that it worked. GC is not questioning that I tested before I left, but a smart man would have made sure before leaving and turning over to someone else. Any number things could have happened in the day or two between install and pour. If you are not in the habbit of documenting such things, please do so. I will try and be better about it, that is for sure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is a good idea, I have never heard of those.

Most radiant floor system that I have bought come with the loudmouth or a version similar to it. You leave it install at all times during the floor process. If it beep you got problems.

Podagrower

I was thinking of an alarm when I started reading. I don't install too much radiant heat, but the MRI rooms I have done have a similar alarm to make sure you don't ground the RFI shield.

jeremysterling

Another documenting tip I picked up is to install pull strings in underground conduits in slabs or fill, take pictures, and demonstrate to the GC that the string moves freely. Could be your only recourse when someone else drills or digs up the conduit.

mdshunk

Another documenting tip I picked up is to install pull strings in underground conduits in slabs or fill, take pictures, and demonstrate to the GC that the string moves freely. Could be your only recourse when someone else drills or digs up the conduit.
If I wanted to demonstrate to a GC that every pull string I install moves freely, he's going to get mighty irritated with me.

ivsenroute

Just installed one and while the GC was there I did the required resistance checks then required megger check and showed him the results which I documented on the paperwork provided by the manufacturer.

I explained that I was done for now and how careful everyone needed to be. This way there were no questions later.

Not a job I want to have to share in the expense of redoing

cschmid

I am curious why your cable floated..not enough fasteners to hold it to floor..always tale pictures and provide a copy of the documentation and have inspection form as well..then the GC will take more appropriate measure to insure it is not broken and better tracking measures of subs working on the floor..because it is their expense then..

360Youth

I was not aware of the Loudmouth type device umtil afterwards. Hindsight is 20/15 in this case. Nothing has come back on us so far, although we are the ones pursuing the repair. Hopefully it will resolve easily. The bright side is we will get to play with a thermal imager for the first time. :cool:Maybe the cable repair will go quickly and have time to really play before having to return the imager. :)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
That is a good idea, I have never heard of those.

they work well. they seem to disappear along with the tile setter,
so i just take the price of them, charge it to the job, and if i get them
back, more the better. i've yet to get one back.

most mat's have a factory label showing the impedance. i check it
before i lay it, and megger each lead to the ground with the megger
set to 100v. write the readings down in my ongoing note book of
all the stuff i need to remember.

i do the same thing after i lay the mat, and then hook up the monitor.
it supervises the circuit.... if the circuit goes either to dead short,
or open, it squeals.

aftershock

Did you install a Loudmouth on the wiring before you left the original install?

I have only done 3 floor floor heat systems. I would install a temp light socket and switch at the switch box and instruct the tile guy to keep any eye on the bulb. If the bulb goes out, something either happened to the cable, or the bulb blew.

iwire

Staff member
I have only done 3 floor floor heat systems. I would install a temp light socket and switch at the switch box and instruct the tile guy to keep any eye on the bulb. If the bulb goes out, something either happened to the cable, or the bulb blew.

So your exposing the tile guys to a 120 VAC shock?

Status
Not open for further replies.