Service Lateral GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
When sizing the GEC on a service lateral, do we use the size of wire used by the POCO or do we size the GEC according to the rating of the service equipment? In my area, the POCO does not size it's service entrance conductors per the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Service Lateral GEC

Why would your service lateral contain a GEC?

[ January 25, 2006, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

I didn't mean the service lateral itself, but the service equipment the service lateral feeds.

iwire

Staff member

Table 250.66 Note 2. Where there are no service-entrance conductors, the grounding electrode conductor size shall be determined by the equivalent size of the largest service-entrance conductor required for the load to be served.

eprice

Table 250.66 is based on the size of the "Service-Entrance Conductor". Check the definition of "Service-Entrance Conductor" I have never seen a POCO size "Service-Entrance Conductors". They size "Service Drops" or "Service Laterals", but never "Service-Entrance Conductors" In my area, the most common new residential service installation is an underground service lateral into a combination meter/main disconnect on the outside of the house. In such a case if there are service entrance conductors, they would be the factory installed conductors or buses from the meter section into the disconnect section.

Status
Not open for further replies.